This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31430 May 25th, 2005 at 02:03 AM
S
squints Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have a Blueberry bush in a pot that has termites in it. I was wondering if there was a way to get rid of them without repotting or harming the bush. Also it has berries rippining on it right now. Any info would be greatly recieved.
Thank you,

#31431 May 25th, 2005 at 05:32 AM
F
F
Sounds like the termites are coming from the ground up through the hole in the bottom of your pot. Maybe u could treat the ground under the pot with some chemical or just move the pot to an area, such as a slab of concrete or asphalt where they cannot penetrate.
If they are just a few renagade termites, they really pose no danger whatsoever, having been "cutoff" from their nest.

#31432 May 26th, 2005 at 03:25 AM
S
squints Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I guess I should have mentioned that I have recently purchased this bush 2 weeks ago. They seem quite active and not sure if the queen is present inside the pot. I noticed they were starting to make a "mud tunnel" from one of the drain holes and I broke it up.
I currently have it on a plastic table on the porch.
If they are not going to harm the bush I will just let them be, but i didnt know if they would start to eat the roots or not. Duh

#31433 May 26th, 2005 at 12:38 PM
I'd get rid of them anyway. Submerge the pot for an hour in water. Then allow to drain. If you add a little fish fertiliser or similar to the water you'll fertilise the plant at the same time.

#31434 June 7th, 2005 at 12:16 AM
O
O
You need nemotodes!!!! They are easy to apply and are very effective!!!!! 100% organic and they take care of crickets and grubs and roaches, and beetles and all kinds of gross bugs!!

Good Luck!!!

#31435 June 15th, 2005 at 08:06 AM
S
squints Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I soaked the pot for about an hour and a half. It's been a few weeks now and no termites. :^}

Thanks Longy!

#31436 June 17th, 2005 at 08:19 AM
M
M
I hate to say this, but I'm afraid you have only moved the termites. Unless you treat and kill them, they will be back but probably into your house.

#31437 June 18th, 2005 at 02:06 AM
Yeah you should ensure your house is protected from infestation. If it is you have little to worry about. There are termites everywhere and we'll never kill them all. Same as black ants or pretty much any insect. The ones in the pot would've been workers or whatever looking for a feed. The queen is still alive somewhere with her plethora of slaves. She could be right under you or hundreds of metres away. Possibly under your neighbours woodshed or at the base of that big old dead tree down the road a bit. Anyway, you killed the ones in the pot and that was your query:)

#31438 June 19th, 2005 at 02:09 PM
S
squints Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Actually I had recently bought the bush. The termites were in it from the start. I submerged it in a utility sink for the 1 1/2 hrs. Only a few came out I'm sure the rest of them drowned.
Anyways here in south GA. termites are everywhere, just about any piece of wood or even cardboard for that matter left long enough turns into termite groceries. The house has been treated so is safe LOL, I do keep an eye on that possibility.
Thanks for all the input.

"A long time ago I started out with nothing and today I still have most of it"

Link Copied to Clipboard