This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31317 July 2nd, 2005 at 08:08 PM
J
jh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My bee balm comes in with a bang and is gone within 2 weeks thanks to the voracious bees - I have been to historic homes and other gardens where the bee balm lasts much longer and doesn't seem to be engulfed in the the buzzing hoard. Do you think they have used insecticide?
My lavender is also full of bees, which doesn't bother me except for the plant near the front door (hadn't considered that some guests might be endangered if they have an allergy.)
My daisies are attacked by a bug that looks like a yellow firefly. I tried topical (not systemic) insecticide which only worked for a few days.
Since we live on the water and love "nature" (hummingbirds and butterflies, etc,) I hate to use insecticide, but these critters are driving me buggy! Please advise. thanks!

#31318 July 2nd, 2005 at 08:36 PM
Hey jh,
Not going to give you much sympathy. I have the same issue, but thats why I do it. I love seeing the colors of my balm and before they totally fade out I clip the blooms and get a smaller but just as colorful bloom in early fall.
I guess that is why they call it bee balm?
I also plant some other flowers such as mexican hyssop, lavender and sage, so there is plenty to go around. Additionally the bee balm spreads so much each year that I continually split it up and have the colors everywhere. I am an anti bug guy, but not when it comes to the bees.

Link Copied to Clipboard