This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31286 June 19th, 2005 at 03:18 AM
OP Offline
I was at my sisters yesterday and her hibiscus has black spots on the leaves. It almost looks like someone splattered paint on them. She is woried that what-ever it is will infect the rest of the flower garden. I told her I would ask and see if anyone knew what it could be. There are no holes in the leaves, just black spatters.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks smile

#31287 June 19th, 2005 at 07:48 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Black spatters or rust colored spatters...????

#31288 June 19th, 2005 at 06:33 PM
OP Offline
I called.... she says rust. They looked black to me the other day but I had her go look and she said, "rust".

smile

#31289 June 19th, 2005 at 07:57 PM
Like tar? You know a lot of municipalities are suffering from tar leaf - that's because when the leaves are picked up, they are re-cycled and used for compost. It doesn't kill the tar/rust disease.

I didn't know it could affect other plants though - I thought it was just the trees.

I would keep the hibiscus away from any other plants - you might have to snip the damaged leaves off - also spray with a light solution of detergent just in case it is a bug.

I'm sorry you had that problem - I just love hibiscus. I haven't seen them in the plant stores lately - even when I was up to Home Depot's gardening centre. Jeff asked about them at a centre up by the supermarket and the guy told him they aren't available right now - guess they're not exporting them much.

I like (if I can) to buy them small and grow them myself - I don't like getting them big and putting them in.

#31290 June 20th, 2005 at 03:28 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Alot of rust is in the dirts' already..
It's just certain plants under certain conditions
where the condition rear's it's ugly head..
Wet, humid..

Don't touch your plant either during the time it's wet, that's how it spreads even more..

After it's DRY, take your fingers, and snip off
each leaf... *if you use your clippers, make sure you watch it off in a mild bleach solution between clippings..*

But take off each leaf and keep the area around it open, airy... nothing touching it..
And keep the water at the base of the plant from splashing up on to the plant.

#31291 June 20th, 2005 at 03:44 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
auntnene when she watered the Hibiscus was it in heat of day with temps above 85? did dhe get water on the leaves? I have found out the hard way to not get any water on the leaf in heat of day or even when it's hot of an evening or morning because leave will spot and sometimes turn brown and fall off. I water mine making sure to not get leaves wet. so this year I have no black or brown spots on my Hibiscus. I don't have very many though only around 40 I think. The Manhot that duckie sent me is fixing to bloom all over the place all the plants have tons of buds on them. I'm not expert this is just what I have found works for me. Good Luck
Jimmy

#31292 June 22nd, 2005 at 10:55 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for all the information. I'll pass it along! She has two varieties side by side and only one has it. She was thinking about moving it away from everything. I'm going to see her again soon so I'll take her some seed from my hardy to plant in it's place. I was fortunate to get some seed from a 90 year old lady in our town. She said her seed came from her family farm when she married. I have no idea what variety it is. It sure is slow to emerge but once it takes off there's no stopping it. I'm awaiting it's first bloom.

Thanks again smile

Link Copied to Clipboard