This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31279 July 12th, 2005 at 10:26 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi there,

Due to its size (I have vaulted ceilings, mom does not) I just adopted my sister's birth tree of 28 years! It's a beautiful large, wide, indoor ficus. I have to admit though it's a bit temperamental (drops leaves when moved) and needs some care. It's healthy, pest free and needs to be pruned. Are there any specific techniques, do/don'ts for pruning? Are there some general tips to caring for a ficus? I live in a rather arid area of Central Oregon. It will be positioned for southern exposure and should be very happy. I have taller ceilings so height isn't necessarily the issues it's the wide nature of the tree that I need some supervision before cutting. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
-T

#31280 July 12th, 2005 at 10:43 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
oh wow o.O how tall is it? Mr. Creed has a pamphlet on ficus that he gives out to people sometimes so hopefully he'll see this thread and give you one ^.^ But ya, as far as pruning goes, *thinks* i donno, i just prune in a way that would make the tree look pretty Duh I donated my ficus to the school a while ago, so i won't see it till i get back there lol. But i've got full maintenance on it ^.^

But ya, they like lotsa indirect light, annnnd their leaves have this thing where they fall off if the lighting on them changes. Cuz ya, each leave is adjusted to a specific lighting condition, and if the light changes, it falls off, and produces a new leave which is all adapted n stuff. So ya ^.^ give the tree a shake to get rid of any dead or dying leaves. They're tougher than you'd think smile

~Phoebe

#31281 July 12th, 2005 at 10:48 AM
T
OP Offline
T
It's pushing 8 feet tall and probably the same around!

-T

Link Copied to Clipboard