This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31035 June 22nd, 2005 at 10:40 PM
S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I need some help with one of my peace lilies. I have three and two of them they are doing very well I have had two of them for about two years.
Well I recently got this one about 2 months ago and I had to repot it bc I bought it at Home Depot and you know they have really crappy pots that they come in.
So I was watering it once a week (like I do my other ones) and it started to bud a new leaf and then all the other leaves just went down. It looks so pitiful. I don"t know what to do! Then I was thinking it wasn"t getting enough sun so I moved it closer to the window and it still looks the same. Then I thought I was watering it too much (but I didn"t see how when I was only watering it once a week) and as of now I haven"t watered it in about 5 days and it still looks the same. HELP I don"t want it to die!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
This is one I have had for 2 years.
[Linked Image]
My 2nd one that I have had for 2 years.

This is the one that needs help............
[Linked Image]
What it looked like when I bought it!
[Linked Image]
What it looks like now!!!!!
HELP!!!!

#31036 June 22nd, 2005 at 11:13 PM
wavey smh023
i'm wondering what the roots looked like when you repotted it. did you happen to look at them? i purchased a couple of plants from home depot and the roots were rotten. i'm not saying that is the case with yours but it's worth a shot. with places like home depot and the like you tend to take a chance on the "condition" the plant is actually in. i learned the hard way ters
you may want to take it out of the dirt and check the roots. hope i was of some help wink

#31037 June 22nd, 2005 at 11:26 PM
S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks Phoenix, I honestly can't remember what they look like?
But would a new leaf be budding out like it is if the roots where rotten?

#31038 June 23rd, 2005 at 04:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The problem is related to the repotting.

What kind of soil did you use?

Did you remove a lot of the soil it came in?

Are there drainage holes in the bottom of the new pot?

How dry does the soil feel after a week of no water?

#31039 June 28th, 2005 at 07:27 PM
S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What kind of soil did you use? ~ I use miracle grow.

Did you remove a lot of the soil it came in? ~ Not too much just enough to get the roots free so it can grow in the new pot.

Are there drainage holes in the bottom of the new pot? ~ There are rocks at the bottom of the pot.

How dry does the soil feel after a week of no water? ~ It feels a little dry but a little damp if that makes any sense the dirt isn’t dry and flaky but it isn’t soaking wet either.

#31040 June 28th, 2005 at 07:29 PM
S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
[Linked Image]

ters

#31041 June 29th, 2005 at 07:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The roots are rotting. The culprit is the lack of drainage holes. Rocks or other drainage material in the bottom of the pot is an old-fashioned notion that has been discredited as a helpful horticultural practice.

Not only does the excess water have no place to drain out, but neither do the gases that build up around the roots. No drainage holes is a particularly deadly combination with plants like peace lilies that stay in evenly moist soil.

You can unpot and try salvaging it, but my guess is that there are few if any healthy roots remaining. If there are, put the slimmed down rootball into a small pot that has drainage holes.

Wish I had better news, but it is good learning experience about potting.

#31042 June 29th, 2005 at 07:35 PM
S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well my first peace lily pictured is in a pot with nothing? No rocks or drainage holes and it has been doing great for 2 yrs??
My second peace lily has a drainage hole but I saved that one from my work and I havent repotted it.

That is why I dont understand why this one is dying? I just did it like I have always done my other plants.

But I will try to save it, I feel sad that it is dying. frown

#31043 June 30th, 2005 at 04:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can't say for sure why there is a difference. However, the soil and your watering of the two plants is not identical. It is possible to maintain a plant in a drainless pot, but it is very dicey and, more often than not, results in eventual root deterioration.

Will

#31044 July 1st, 2005 at 07:39 PM
S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well I had to lay my poor peace lily to rest last night. It was true the roots were dead. ters ters
Even the base of the stalk where the leaves started to come out was black. ters
Well I just assumed that since my other plants were doing fine in a non drainage pot then that one would too.
BUT I do have a rubber plant and two palms in a non drainage pot and they are doing fine.

Does it depend on some plants how well they do or not? Or should all plants really need to be in a drainage pot?

#31045 July 3rd, 2005 at 08:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am sorry, but not surprised, about your peace lily.

Using pots without drainage holes is a risky venture with any potted plant. It is more risky with plants that need to dry out often, such as succulents.

The problem is that the damage done by the slow accumulation of water and gases in the bottom of drainless pots is very slow and hidden from view. By the time it becomes apparent, it is usually too late.

Link Copied to Clipboard