This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31021 May 21st, 2005 at 08:13 PM
N
OP Offline
N
OK. I have 5 cacti I potted from clippings and started in-doors under a sun lamp. I moved them onto my patio about 2 weeks ago. To try and avoid sunburn I put them in a spot that got more shade, but still gets sun until about 11am. (The sun is up by 5am).

The apricot prickly pear promptly wilted. I gave it about 2 days, then moved it indoors where it perked up literally overnight and is now standing tall again.

The beavers tail also wilted. The main cutting kind of curled forward and the offshoot got limp and started to get brownish. (The entire thing also fell over...) I re-potted it and brought it inside about a day before the apricot pp. It isn't looking much better although the offshoot looks less wilty.

The purple prickly pear started to get yellowish-brown at the base. The guy at Ace (they have the best garden center in the area) told me that was normal but I'm having trouble believing that since it seems to be spreading...

I can't find a good "how-to" book on cacti. And I've killed cacti in the past (in Idaho). It seems like in Southern Arizona where they grow like wildflowers I should be able to keep them alive. I'm doing fine with hybiscus, dahlia, celosia, calibrachoa, etc. What am I doing wrong w/ my cacti? Any ideas?

Thanks much!

#31022 July 24th, 2005 at 12:11 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Up to the TOP!!!!

Anyone????????

I don't know how I missed this one....
Usually I always try to make sure they all
get an answer at least one...

#31023 July 24th, 2005 at 12:53 PM
I have rooted many Prickly Pears and find that they will yellow but will root eventually.

If you have them in the sun and not wet it should be alright. The one that is yellow will not turn green but it sprouts a new pad.

Link Copied to Clipboard