This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30613 June 6th, 2005 at 03:22 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Does anyone have any tips or webpages that give good instructions?

I have planted several of these plants because they are fasting growing and provide lots of color. However, they are also rather invasive (depends on how you define fast growing...lol) and thorny. I do not want them to get out of control.

I am hoping to train them into a tall shrub ot even sort of a tree. Perhaps like a topiary with just the round or squared top section.

Nothing complicated. I just want to know when and how to cut the branches to keep it in check. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. smile

#30614 June 6th, 2005 at 03:23 AM
G
OP Offline
G
frown I got an error message and now it looks like this question was posted 3 times. If a mod could please remove the other threads so I don't look like a total idiot I would be greatful. smile

#30615 June 6th, 2005 at 01:02 PM
HI wavey heres a link i found for you i think it might help.
http://www.tropicalgardening.com/Bougainvillea/BougainvilleaPages/bougainvillea4.html
if it dose not have the imformation you need just do a search. on the care of the bouganvillea plant. also do a search on trouble shooting bougainvillea plants.you will find lots of imformation that way.hope this helps you and good luck with your plants.your friend in gardeing mike57 wavey flw flw

#30616 June 6th, 2005 at 04:09 PM
When you trim a vine section..it will branch out below your cut...most times.And they flower better(all down vine)when are around 18-20 inches long& I've only trimmed mine when was done flowering.

I grow mine in hanging basket its moss lined.It gets more sun now,but around end of august it will start flowering and I'll move it up on porch then.I'll keep in my cold GH with bright light(sw)it will bloom till almost march.My cuz lives calif and his blooms about 11 months.He uses 20 inch clay pots.He has bark chips mixed in his mix.He's doing the time release fertilizer 12-6-something& a bloom booster one the rest of time.I can see mine looks alot better with getting fert all the time.i've used hibiscus fertilier in the past.they are not cold hardy.4 hours below freezeing is a dead boug plant.I'm a TX 8b and we don't get below 15 much& rarely over 6 hours below freezeing.My cold GH is vented.we uncovered the eves cause sometimes we get too humid in there& this way air circulates when is a breeze.it hangs about 8 ft up& I don't cover it& would guess is 3-4 ft from light I leave on when it does go below freezeing.They do best root bound& you don't want to damage roots on bottom(like set pot on ground& have feeder roots grow intoground)I grow in moss lined basket so gets plenty of air& the air keeps my roots in check my hanging basket is a 10 inch,but would like a 12 inch.I know a bougainvillia will grow in a 1 gallon pot for 3 years.I've never seen a tree form one grown,but have seen an espliear one grown& I thinks....catlover on here grows on out Calif in ground and hers is just invasive & wacks it and its still just plain happy.I kinda like mine to have long vines hanging over basket.

I read an article once on the Houston bougainvillia page about pinching for shapeing.I do rember was pinching every 4-5 weeks& seemed it bloomed more down the vines.I read they sometimes produce seeds,but have not seen any on mine so guess I must have a hybrid.Its pink...its awesome& I like a orange one with variegated leaves.And hear is a yellow one and its leaves are more lime green.

#30617 June 11th, 2005 at 03:49 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the link Mike.

My bougs are in the ground, not pots. I am wanting to create dramatic framing around a large front window...so I am trying to learn how to best prune them to keep them from becoming "blobs". Most of the ones I see growing in the ground down here are just giant masses of vines and color...I am a bit more retentive about such things and really either want to shape them into trees, or tress them on a 2'x8' trellis. I want them tall and narrow if possible.

Link Copied to Clipboard