This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30557 June 21st, 2005 at 10:09 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Ok, I started an herb bed last year. I bought some Greek oregano, French tarragon, two different tymes, and some lovage. The tarragon is doing so well that it is shading some of the other plants. I decided that I should cut it and dry it just to give the other plants some more room. I cut all of the stems, bunched them together with rubber bands and hung them to dry under a tree. It has been so hot and dry I thought it would be ok.

I know that I shouldn't keep the tarragon outside. Should I move it into my garage, basement or shed. The shed is hot, but there isn't good air circulation. The garage may be ok since we open it several times a day, and I've cured garlic there with pretty good success. I've got plenty of room in my basement, but I'm afraid that it isn't dry enough there. If I can get my hands on a dehydrator, should I strip the leaves off and dry them in that instead?

Any suggestions? Once I'm done, does anyone want some tarragon. I don't even know what to do with it. I just like to grow things. I do like to cook, but my cooking style is more Chinese. I'm used to using garlic, ginger, green onions, pepper, and hot peppers. These other herbs are new to me.

#30558 June 23rd, 2005 at 12:08 AM
. I don't even know what to do with it.
hi par gardener.
i use my tarragon to flavor meats and i make tarragon butter and vinegar both very easy to do.
for the vinegar i use just the leaves and regular white vinegar. for the butter i use room temp butter add some fresh or dried tarragon and mix it up and keep it in a tupperware bowl in the fridge. i clip mine,bunch it together,and just let it hang in my kitchen to dry.

Link Copied to Clipboard