This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29811 August 9th, 2005 at 06:06 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
If you were to grow some herbs say in like a box planter.for durring the winter.Which ones would you grow.

I KNOW I'll toss in some cat mint& lemon balm& possibly some purple basil.I just can't decide any further than this.

#29812 August 9th, 2005 at 06:14 AM
http://doityourself.com/herbs/growingherbsindoors.htm

Many herbs do great indoors. You need a good sunny window or even better a fluorescent light. Try the link...it explains everything.
Good Luck!
Christina

#29813 August 9th, 2005 at 07:24 AM
oregano is another good one for indoor herbs and rosemary as well.

#29814 August 10th, 2005 at 02:34 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm envious Triss rosemary hates me indoors or out just can not get it to grow. You have to tell me what the trick is?

I would definitely have chives in my winter herb kitchen garden. And mint, I like having mint when every possible cause it reminds me of spring even when it isn't lol. I would probably have green onions in my indoor kitchen garden to even though it isn't a herb. I have a tendency to treat it like one lol. Parsley is another nice one to have indoors. I think it looks like a miniature palm tree or fern i really like it. I have the curley parsley variety. I like fresh dill to. But I can't remember if I've ever tried it indoors. My memory is soooooooooo bad.

Enjoy your winter herb garden. I think they are a wonderful thing to have.

#29815 August 10th, 2005 at 02:48 AM
Tammy, The key, or so I have been told, to rosemary inside is the bathroom. I have yet to try it there, but will be doing so this year. Strange place, yes, but I have great counterspace for plants and am going to try to take advantage of it.

Ferns also do very well in bathrooms cuz of the moisture in the air from showering, but those too I have never put in mine.

#29816 August 10th, 2005 at 08:49 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I tried that with a boston fern. Was not pretty and the leaves ended up everywhere. Very very bad lol. But if humidity is the trick it should like my kitchen. I don't have a fan so it gets really humid in their at least twice a day lol.

#29817 August 10th, 2005 at 10:50 PM
LOL Tammy. I have never actually done it but I have seen it. Not a huge fan of the fern in general so that is probably why I don't have one.

Link Copied to Clipboard