This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29764 August 12th, 2005 at 12:06 PM
RC Offline OP
OP Offline
I saw a segment on RFDTV about a couple in the Placerville, CA area (East of Sacramento at the foothills of Tahoe) that farms Mandarin oranges...I have had no luck with anyone knowing what varieties can be grow here in the states, more so in my area of CA, vs what normally is imported from China. The segment did say that the couple did experience light frost, and that the variety did require some hours of frost during dormancy.The variety was not shared on the show...
Q- Does anyone know about growing Mandarins?

#29765 August 15th, 2005 at 07:11 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
To the top!!!!

*Maybe Papito knows a wee~bit??*
Anyone???

#29766 August 18th, 2005 at 12:41 AM
P
P
I grow mandarins and other citruses in plastic pots in the north bay of San Francisco Bay area. Been doing it since early '90's. I purchased my citruses from local nurseries, in particular, the Four Winds Growers of Fremont, California. Here's the link:

http://fourwindsgrowers.com/solver/varietyinfo.html

From the listed varieties, I have:

Oranges...Washington Navel, Valencia Moro (blood) & Sanquinelli (blood).

Mandarins/Tangerines...Dancy and Satsuma

Lemons...Eureka and Improved Meyers

Grapefruit...Oro Blanco

Kumquat...Nagami

Limes...Bearss

Plus...Minneola Tangelo and Calamondin

These, plus other citruses purchased from other nurseries, grow well in my neck of the wood with no problem with frost.

Here's the link to Monrovia for other citrus variety.

Monrovia .

#29767 August 18th, 2005 at 01:12 AM
P
P
The optimum temperature for growing mandarin oranges and other citrus varieties is between70*F-90*F and tolerates lower temperature in the 22*F to 23*F, of course, other species will have different temperature ranges. They prefer maximum exposure to sunlight.

They need adequate soil moisture for healthy growth and fruit production. Lack of moisture during growing season causes fruit drops and low yield.

For the first two years, they need to be fertilized 3x between February and September, 2x thereafter beginning in the third year to maturity.

#29768 August 20th, 2005 at 10:55 AM
RC Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow!! Thank you Papito.(and Weezie13)
I just returned home from driving down 101. I had started at Coos Bay...I envy those that live in those zones down the coast of Oregon/Cal.....I love it here in San Luis Obispo County, but it does have its harsh months on citrus and more...

#29769 August 21st, 2005 at 12:08 AM
P
P
RC,

Ever thought about starting a "vineyard"?

Check this link for information.

#29770 August 23rd, 2005 at 02:22 PM
RC Offline OP
OP Offline
I am surrounded by them here in the Paso Robles/ Atascadero area...I have friends that are getting out of the grape business due to saturation...I enjoy the odd fruits and natives that seem to have been forgotten. My ancestors were pioneers this area in the early 1900's and were pear,apple,and walnut growers. Grapes have seemed to take over a bit too much here.

#29771 August 23rd, 2005 at 09:24 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I had wild pears, apples, and assorted fruit trees'/bushes in the woods where I grew up..
Nothing finer than going out and getting breakfast and/or a snack or two from those trees.

Lucky you two to be able to grow those plants/trees, wish I could!!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard