This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Horseradish ?
#29543 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:46 PM
W
WyoMom Offline OP
OP Offline
W
My husband would like to try horseradish in our garden next year. Anybody ever grow this before? Are there any special needs I should know about?
Thank you for your time.
Nancy

Re: Horseradish ?
#29544 August 3rd, 2005 at 10:51 PM
R
R
It grows really easily & gets big.

[Linked Image]
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
#29545 August 4th, 2005 at 01:29 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
And pick a spot that it doesn't get moved.
And can grow out and out and out more, eventually.

And make sure it's tilled deep....for it's roots.

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
#29546 August 4th, 2005 at 10:00 PM
W
WyoMom Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thank you for your advice. I have never seen the plant before so wasn't sure about it; just know we love the stuff. I was thinking about planting herbs around the edge of my garden, leaving spaces to use as entrances. I know some can become invasive so I thought about putting them in pots buried along the garden edge. Would horseradish work like that or does it spread more like irises? I better head to the library and do some more research on these. Any books you would recommend on herbs?
Again thank you for your time, I really appreciate the help you gardeners gave me.
Nancy

#29547 August 4th, 2005 at 10:56 PM
O
O
I've read of a recommendation to plant it in a bottomless bucket to control the spread.

[Linked Image]
Terry

May the force be with you
#29548 August 4th, 2005 at 11:14 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My nieghbors on the hill, *who've now moved out*
had a patch of that stuff, the patch is got to be about 20ft long now and 6~8ft wide....
It just sits there..

Of course, the guy who owns the property now
isn't doing anything the house/property except
roundup every other weekend it seems. mad frown :p

And it almost reminds me of looking at Ragweed
from a distance.

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
#29549 August 4th, 2005 at 11:28 PM
E
E
Ihave had horseradish for years now. I like it. It grows long wide leaves and it flowers white tiny flowers on it, smells wonderful. Little to no care once it gets established. I have mine in a controlled bed, it can only go so far. If you decide to make your own ground horseradish wait til I think the first light frost.
it has been a very long time since I have done that, mainly because I had some jerk painting the inside of the house, he decided to clean brushes and his paint pan and rollers in my horse radish bed. I have waited 6 years for all the chemicals to go away, this year I am gonna try it. Fingers crossed I can and it will be good. I have my doubts at this point.
wink

#29550 August 6th, 2005 at 12:34 AM
W
WyoMom Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Boy am I glad you said something about the paint because I was going to cut off the bottoms of 5 gallon buckets my husband brings home. He is a painter and we always have buckets. Do you think if I cleaned them up real good the paint residue won't harm the plants? Sorry to hear about the jerk who cleaned up in your horseradish patch. I hope you get to eat your horseradish this year. I use it in a lot of my cooking. My husband always brings a bucket of clean water to wash his stuff in and then takes it to a car wash to do a good cleaning. Thank you to everyone who answered. I can hardly wait for next year and this year isn't over. I have been making notes and plans for next year. I am a list sort of person-must have lists. You would not believe how many garden plans I drew up before I actually planted anything. :rolleyes: shocked

Link Copied to Clipboard