This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29498 July 27th, 2005 at 09:01 AM
S
OP Offline
S
This is my first garden. I picked a rather large zucchini the other day and couldn't even cut it with my knife. Is it not ripe yet? Some of the zucchinis seem tender if i push them...others feel like rocks. Can anyone explain? Thanks a bunch. -Sally

#29499 July 27th, 2005 at 06:17 PM
LMT Offline
You need to harvest summer squash early. I pick at about 6" or less. If you let them grow too large, you need to peel and deseed before you eat.

--

Just noticed your name, "A gentleman always provides covering fire while a lady reloads".

#29500 August 2nd, 2005 at 08:07 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi and thanks for the info. Some of my smaller ones feel like rocks too...so I've been letting them go thinking they will get softer with age. Maybe I just have a bunch of difficult zucchinis. Thanks for the cover fire :-) -Sally

#29501 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:05 AM
LMT
Why do you need to peel and deseed them after 6inches?? I've never heard of that. Whether they'e large or small....I treat them the same way and enjoy it.
shootingal
Are you sure they're zucchini and not some other sort of squash? I have a client who thought she was growing zucchini and turned out not to be.
Good luck with them.
Christina

#29502 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:21 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
*Shootingal,
Got any pictures of your zukes'???
That might help us a bit?? Maybe???? Duh

What are your watering practices???
And soil, what type?
How are they grown..? Raised beds, reg. garden,
containers???
Are they grown in full sun?
How's the heat been?
And what kind's of fertilizer you used, if any????

**Cristina,
Why do you need to peel and deseed them after 6inches?? I've never heard of that. Whether they'e large or small....I treat them the same way and enjoy it.
Some people do frown not like the seeds :p , especially if they get too big...*my mother loves them small, and can't chew the seeds...
I like them a little bigger~so I can grill them
and they don't fall thru the grill*

Link Copied to Clipboard