This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29408 August 10th, 2005 at 01:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, on some circumstances I've seeded tomatoes one months later than it must as usual. So now my tomatoes just starting to grow "apples". Besides - here started "rainy" days, so i almost think that i will not be able to taste my veggies. Maybe you know any methods to force them to grow faster ? Without any chemical intervention of course as i like clear food! smile

And additional question - as i live in climate where real winter comes - will i have a chance to grow tomatoes ah home in this cold period ?

Thank you!
Arvydas

#29409 August 10th, 2005 at 02:01 AM
T
T
If you don't want to use a chemical fertilizer I recommend 20-20-20 NPK ratio, or as close as possible. But, if you don't want to do that then go fishing and throw the fish guts and head into the soil.

#29410 August 10th, 2005 at 02:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what is "20-20-20 NPK" ? smile as i'm a new one - please some directions ... smile

Thank you!
Arvydas

#29411 August 10th, 2005 at 09:34 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
N.P.K. stands for the "N" Nitrogen, "P" Phosphores, "K" Potassium break down in fertilizer. The numbers should appear on all packages of fertilizer such as 20-20-20 or 18-24-12. (a common starter fertilizer)

Most fertilizers even though man made are made with simple elements and are totally safe. There are many fertilizers labled as "organic" and are actually the same thing as the other. It is a play on words because "organic" by the dictionary definition only means that it is carbon based.

Like the Bearswoman said using fish buried under each plant is a good idea, and there are other natural fertilizers on the market as well. Personally I like using the man made stuff. It usually give better results and it is basically all the same stuff anyway.

#29412 August 10th, 2005 at 10:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ahh... no, nor NPK nor fish doen't fit to me. besides i grow my tometoes at balcony, so ... smile Maybe warmer water could help ? As i know it works on flowers

Thank you!
Arvydas

#29413 August 11th, 2005 at 04:59 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
There are many forms of fertilizer that you can purchase that is suitable for using on potted plants and vegetables. Here in the States, Miracle Grow is the most popular brand name. You can also get fish emulsion, which is a by product from fish. I am not really sure what brands and types of fertilizer are availible to you over there in Lithuania.
Warmer water will do nothing, and if you were to do it with too warm of water you could harm the plant.

#29414 August 12th, 2005 at 01:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hmm ... thats all what i can say frown

Thank you anyway!
Arvydas

Link Copied to Clipboard