This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29344 July 5th, 2005 at 07:45 PM
Brammy Offline OP
OP Offline
Attached is a pic of my toms. they started out turning purple around the edges of new growth followed by the purple areas turning brown and wilting. Today I noticed that there is some leaf curl. I'm not quite sure what the problem is but I could sure use some help. It's been extremely wet and hot here lately.

Not quite sure how to upload a pic so could use some help there too.

#29345 July 6th, 2005 at 07:00 PM
O
O
Purplish color on the leaves, especially on the undersides, veins, and stems, probably indicates a phosphorus deficiency. It generally occurs in acid soils and temporarily in cold, wet soils (not hot like yours).

Try spraying plants with diluted fish emulsion or a liquid fertilizer and add wood ashes to the soil.

#29346 July 8th, 2005 at 01:26 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Brammy,
If you go to one of these sites, *and there is other's too, just can't remember the names*....

WebShots
PhotoBucket
Imagestation

It's FREE to download your pictures too....
Then you can attach the URL from the place you choose, copy and paste the URL, then click on the IMAGE botton, and insert the URL into there.
*there will be a highlighted blue http:/ thing there, either delete it or click your backspace button to get rid of it

I hope this helps..

I personally have the PHOTOBUCKET, very user friendly and you don't have to be a member to view anyon'es pictures..*you do with Imagestation.*

P/S There's some other gardener's that do use pictures alot and maybe able to help you alot better than I did, Afgreyparrot/Cindy, Loz, Meg, Jiffy, G~mom, plants~n~Pots, Carly....tons of them know how and can give you a hand if you need it....

#29347 July 11th, 2005 at 11:04 PM
S
S
obywan's right, purple foliage usually means the plant is hungry and it goes away rather quickly once you fertilize. Pictures sure do help, though. Check out my post about leaf curl and see if those thoughts might be what ails your plant(s).

Buona fortuna,
Julianna

#29348 July 11th, 2005 at 11:29 PM
Brammy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, I think you may be right. Although I used tomato spikes the soil is very sandy. the amount of rain we have had lately may have washed the fertilizer right out. I guess I'll just have to do the weekly/biweelky thing.

Link Copied to Clipboard