This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29251 November 20th, 2005 at 03:15 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
...I think. I found my ice plant in the side yard. Its been below freezing temperatures for a couple of days here. I'm sure it froze during the evenings, but it feels like it is supposed to. Its got loads of babies at dirt level of the planter, but some of the longer stems have turned brown and feel a little dry...but not crackly dry. I don't have time to take pictures of it right now. I brought it inside and hung the plant where it will get some sun. Should I trim off the brown? Will it survive?? How tough are these things???? I'm wondering just like Patty S. is. Help!!

#29252 November 20th, 2005 at 10:49 PM
A
A
My ice plants are planted in the ground. During winter a lot of the top growth dies leaving just growth at the base and stringy stems that I usually cut back in spring. The plants quickly grow back and spread out. Hardy Ice plant is hardy to zone 5.

#29253 November 21st, 2005 at 01:44 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I've brought theplant in because I love the blooms soo much. Ya think it'll be ok in the house during the winter? We keep the heat at 68, so its not overly warm in the house.

#29254 November 21st, 2005 at 08:30 AM
So, Jenn... take a pic so I can see what you've got! (Pleez!) I'm confused about which succulent is which... not that it matters, I suppose, as they all need pretty much the same care... I think!

Here's what my Master Gardener friend had to say about my question concerning bringing succulents indoors this time of year:
"This is a time of slow growth for almost everything from grass to ornamentals. I wouldn't advise you to bring the wreath indoors, though, unless you can put it in a place that's not too warm. I've successfully grown Sempervivums indoors, but it's usually a big shock to suddenly go tropical. I think there's a wide range of hardiness for Sempervivum but mostly I think they're somewhat tender. Probably wouldn't survive much of a freeze, but who knows? It's not as if we get that kind of weather here."

I also keep the house at about 68F, & I'm guessing that's way too warm for succulents, Jenn, especially cuz it's so darned cold outside & I think it'd be too drastic of a temp change for them, all at once!

It might frost once in a great while, but we don't get much freezing weather & it's balmy here (43F right now), compared to the Philly area, so your plants must think they're in Hell! eek mad eek

#29255 November 21st, 2005 at 10:24 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Haha...the oce plant LOVED the summer this year. We had a steady 90 degree weather here this summer.

I've looked at the plant very carefully this morning and it looks like its doing ok. I'm going to continue to monitor the plant for the next couple of days before I feel comfortable with my decision tho.

#29256 November 21st, 2005 at 10:33 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is what the ice plant looked like this summer....in the heat. laugh I just loved the shiney purple flowers!

[Linked Image]

#29257 November 22nd, 2005 at 12:26 AM
Oh, that's "LOVERLY"! My guess is, since you've had it indoors for a couple days now, putting it back outdoors might be the worst thing you could do to it at this point! (Notice I said "GUESS"... I'm not speaking from knowledge here, just what seems logical.) We know it can stand hot & dry, so I'd leave it inside for the winter, myself. I wouldn't think it'd die unless you overwater it, but you know better than to do that! Freezing weather & planters make me nervous, as there are so many directions for the cold to penetrate from, whereas things in the ground are only getting zapped from the top, & any "damage" can only go as far down as the ground freezes.

I decided to put my wreath on the workbench in the (unheated) garage & leave the flourescent shop light on, which is mounted under the upper cabinets above the work bench. It might be a little warmer there than outside & it will, at least, get some light... more than it would outdoors, as it's been so foggy or overcast (& I don't expect to see a ray of sunshine here until March).

Sure hope your Ice plant makes it, & I can see why you like it! (I don't know as I've ever seen a plant like that before, but that would be MY fault, as I'd never paid attention to flowers before this year!)

#29258 December 1st, 2005 at 11:05 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Update on the ice plant...

Its doing very well. It's getting new growth and filling out. I haven't cut anything off of it yet, but will probably do that next week when I have time to look at it carefully and decide what is dead and what is sleeping. I will probably cut some pieces off that are still alive, but that don't have enough growth to warrant leaving them there.

#29259 December 11th, 2005 at 11:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hey jenn, when you cut it back, will you send me the cuttings? i really want some of that, but haven't seen it around here!

#29260 December 21st, 2005 at 06:56 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a cutting right now that I stuck in a shot glass of water to see if it would grow a root....and it did! And the first thing I thought was "Ha! I can sent this to Jiffy!!!"...and I'm just now seeing this post today! laugh The root is just little...should I keep it in the water for a bit more or should I try it in potting soil?...or should I just send it to you now???

#29261 December 21st, 2005 at 07:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
where did you get that plant?can i get one from any old nursey?

#29262 December 21st, 2005 at 11:18 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I got the plant on the discount shelf at one of the local nurseries....I hadn't seen it anywhere else tho. The poor thing just looked soo neat that I HAD to buy it.

#29263 December 21st, 2005 at 11:07 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
If you would put me on the list for a cutting when you prune it next time or when ever that would be wonderful. And I have a trade list in the seed exchange so if you want something from there let me know. That is a really cool plant and I would like to have one.

#29264 December 22nd, 2005 at 07:04 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
OKie doke. I love my ice plant...it looks like its from another planet! Everyone who comes into our house asks about it.

#29265 December 28th, 2005 at 10:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jenn, you can send it to me anytime... if you wrap the root in a damp papertowel and put it in a baggie, it should make the trip just fine.

Link Copied to Clipboard