This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29063 July 9th, 2005 at 06:35 AM
OP Offline
Hello, this is my first message. I have just cut back a spirea,(pink blooming bush type),to about 12 inches off of the ground. The leaves started turning brown from the outside and eventually most of the plant was brown and crisp. This seemed to happen overnight. After I started cutting I noticed that the next spirea is getting the same problem. I did not cut it at all yet. I have a very small yard, so every plant counts, and these plants are in my front yard. Do I need to dig up this plant? What is the problem? Help!!! I do not have a problem getting rid of something. If that's what y'all think I need to do.

#29064 July 9th, 2005 at 07:31 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Pots a Plenty,
Can you tell us a little more about the plants
and thier growing conditions???

Like,
How old are the plants?
What kind of sun light do they get?
How much water, and what time of day do you water?
What kind of soil are they planted in?
Why were you cutting back the first one in the
first place, just outta curiousity?
Have you fertilized them, if so, what kind of fert?

And that should help steer us in a little
more fine~tuned way...

Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way...
We're glad you found us???

P.S. Just so you know, I'm also going to move your post into the flowers AND plants SECTION,
I'm sure you'll get more replies into there...

#29065 July 9th, 2005 at 08:46 AM
OP Offline
Okay, now on to fine tuning my problem. The plants are six years old, get full sun, our soil is mostly clay, but I have ammended it. The plants were fertilized with a general fertilizer in the spring (March). I water them early in the morning three times a week. They never look wilted. I started cutting back the first one because 2/3 of the plant had died out.
Thanks.
pots a plenty

Link Copied to Clipboard