This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I'm taking the advice of a farmer who uses straw in his vegetable garden to reduce weeds and retain moisture. I'm puting about 6 inches of straw throughout my vegetable garden.

We are having a major drought this year, so I've been using a soaker hose to water twice a week.

Should I put the soaker hose on top of the straw or under the straw? (The farmer waters with a regular oscillating sprinkler so he didn't know.)

Advice please!!?? Thanks!

A
A
Hello, I was going to do the same thing but no soaker hose. If I did I would think it would be better under the straw. I do know, when I mow and the seeds fly around from the bermuda grass into the other parts of my yard(that I dont want) it sprouts. So possibly to keep things from sprouting "on top" place the hose under the straw. Im going to go buy some today. not sure if I helped you... smile

OP Offline
Thanks for the advice. It sounds logical, and I hadn't thought about how the hose under the straw might help keeping seeds on top of the straw from sprouting.

I'll keep you updated; please do the same.

flw

A
A
Hey forgot to tell you in the last post check the oganicly speaking forum below...THEYLL KNOW MORE THAN I wink

S
S
Stormysgrandma,

Placing the soaker hose under the straw helps retain moisture for your plants and then the straw can do its job of choking the weeds.

I use the soaker hose/straw combo in most of the garden, flower beds included and it's knocked down the weed population hugely. You will still get the occasional weed sprout here and there, but it's nowhere near as bad as without the straw. As a bonus, at the end of the season, simply till it under and you're building up the soil with organic matter for the following spring. ;o)

Cheers,
Julianna

OP Offline
Julianna, thanks for the confirmation!!

It has only been 5 days and benefits are already showing. My plants are stronger, less stressed by the heat and drought, and yellowing bean plants have greened up well.

Also, I didn't have to water for 4 days!! I ran the soaker last night. plants are going nuts now! I picked 6 Hot Hungarian peppers and about 1/2 lb. of green beans.

By the way, because of the Garlic Barrier, I have perfect beans - not one chew spot!!! The bugs had to eat someone else's garden!!

Originally posted by Stormysgrandma:
By the way, because of the Garlic Barrier, I have perfect beans - not one chew spot!!! The bugs had to eat someone else's garden!!
I think it was my garden they ate instead. laugh

OP Offline
Well, the bugs might have been chased away by the garlic, but bunnies obviously don't mind the odor. In the last 3 days they have consumed my beans and the blossoms!! Not much of anything left. eek

I guess I wasn't supposed to enjoy my beautiful beans.

S
S
Oh no! So sorry to hear that! They should come to our house where our 6 yr old planted an entire 4'x4' raised bed of brassicas just for them, lol. He's got purple cauliflower, purple cabbage, and bok choi. He was kind of hoping to get one of the Easter Bunny's "children" this year.

It shouldn't be too late in your zone to plant some bush beans for Fall. I'd do it this weekend and invest in some sort of chicken wire barrier or something to keep the critters out.

Buona fortuna,
Julianna

Link Copied to Clipboard