This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28845 June 9th, 2005 at 08:56 PM
Tessa Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

In looking at just one book last night on indoor lighting conditions, and getting very frustrated, I resolved to do a search online and came up with the below guidelines. I got frustrated because I was wondering what light a plant of mine does really well in and in the same book it was listed in the "low light" list and then when I looked under the plant itself it said bright light! So, give it to me straight...is the following info accurate?

While light intensity is measured in foot-candles and can be evaluated by using a light meter or photographic exposure meter, you can also follow these general guidelines.

Low Light- (75 foot candles)
North window: a few feet away; East/West window: 3-10 feet away; South window:15-20 feet away

Medium (average) Light (150 foot candles)
North window: directly in front; East/west window: a few feet away; South window: 3-10 feet away

High or Bright Light (300 foot candles)
East/west window: directly in front; South window: up to 5 feet away

Direct (1500 foot candles)
South window: directly in front

Keep in mind that light conditions change throughout the seasons. Several factors can influence your light intensity and duration. For example, the sun is higher on the horizon in the winter (increasing the brightness indoors) and lower on the horizon in the summer (decreasing the brightness indoors); surrounding trees and shrubs may block sunlight with their leaves in summer, but allow for more light during the winter after their leaves have fallen off.

Anyone? Duh

Tessa flw

#28846 June 9th, 2005 at 09:29 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Lighting is difficult. At least I think so. I've been taking different plants that respond quickly to changes but also recover quickly and placing them in different places to get a feel for the light in different places in my apartment. I've been using a groundcover succulent and a coleus as my light meters. It's probably not the best idea.

My south west window has my succulents, marigolds, chives and a purple passion vine in it and they are doing great. My east window has parsley in it and it likes that fine. 4 feet away from the south window I have caladium and coleus and they are doing great but I have to adjust the curtain so the sun doesn't directly hit the caladium at any time or they go very dark lol.

#28847 June 10th, 2005 at 02:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Tessa,

Light evaluation is tricky and it takes a lot of experience. The guidelines you provided are pretty accurate, as far as they go. However, they did get the seasonal location of the sun relative to the horizon backwards.

Part of the problem is that plants that will survive in low light will actually do better in medium light. Consequently, you may find plants listed in more than one light category.

Give me the name of your plant and I will tell you where you should place it.

I have written an article on evaluating light for plants that I will e-mail to anyone who contacts me directly by e-mail.

Link Copied to Clipboard