This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28742 May 15th, 2005 at 09:47 PM
hinda Offline OP
OP Offline
i would like to grow some herbs in my garden. i am specifically interested in basil, bay leaves and rosemary. can i have advide about this . i am totally new with this. what kind of sun and soil coditions do each need? are they able to with stand windy areas?
thanks
hinda

#28743 May 16th, 2005 at 12:03 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hey Hinda,

Have you notice I appear to be following you around lol?

All three herbs you have mentioned are listed as mediterranean herbs so I would suggest that you buy or get cuttings of the varieties that are grown in your area and enjoy.

Look at the top of the herbs page and you will see a post call Herbs - an overview. That will probably give you most of the information you need.

#28744 May 16th, 2005 at 04:03 PM
hinda Offline OP
OP Offline
i wouldnt call it following around - more like a friend that is looking out for me - thanks for eveything so far. just knowing that someone is listening is very comforting.
thanks for your advice about the herbs
hinda

#28745 May 16th, 2005 at 04:43 PM
Hi Hinda wavey
I've never grown rosemary or bay leaf but I grow basil every year. I've always grown it right in the garden but this year I'm keeping it in large planters. I'm using a high quality potting soil, fertilizing every 2 weeks and making sure it gets lots of sun. Basil loves the sun!! I started mine from seed this year and you can do the same or buy some basil and transplant it in a larger pot - whatever u want. It's easy to grow. Hope this helps.
Christina muggs

#28746 May 16th, 2005 at 05:55 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi again,

...it's me. laugh

From what I've been reading about the mediterrean zone (bet I mis-spelled that one big time) most of our common herbs started out there. So it seems that you might be in the perfect place to have lots of fantastic herbs. There is a thyme that is suppose to make a great ground cover that would probably work between your paving stones. If it did it might even stop some weeds from popping up in that location. And from what I've read it also smells good as it is walked on and recovers quickly. Wouldn't that be cool?

Also Lavender is suppose to grow well in your location and that is a great smelling plant.

I am so excited for you. You wouldn't happen to have a digital camera? I really REALLY want to see your garden.

anyone know of any free tickets to israel? lala (You wouldn't mind if I stopped by for a peek would you?) just kidding. But if you could get some pictures to post that would be fantastic.

Link Copied to Clipboard