This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28518 July 12th, 2005 at 09:28 AM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
I had a lot of cucumber vines.. and of course, got the dang beetles. It's not been toooo bad yet, but I noticed a few wilting vines, so I cut them off. This is one of the vines.. there were more pieces as well. Also, where I cut them, will they heal up, or will they wilt the rest of the way? It's hard to find the beginning of the vines.. they are so long & twisty!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#28519 July 12th, 2005 at 11:11 PM
HI Meg they just look like they need lots of water to me. i do not see any mold or bugs any where unless there at the roots you might check there did you plant them on a hill? if not it might be root rot from getting to much water this is just my guess.your friend in gardening.mike57

#28520 July 13th, 2005 at 03:00 AM
P
P
You might want to check this out.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/plantsci/hortcrop/pp747w.htm

from the same article:

Wilt is caused by a slimy ooze which plugs the entire water-conducting tissue of the plant. The wilted plant will not recover, even if water is adequate in the soil. Other pathogens cause wilt, but bacterial wilt may be distinguished by cutting a severely wilted stem at the base of a lateral branch or just above ground level and squeezing the cut end. Ooze will exude from the water-conducting tissue. By touching the ooze with your finger then slowly drawing your finger away, the milky, sticky ooze will string out into fine strands up to one-fourth inch long (Figure 2). This test works best for cucumbers and is less reliable for other cucurbits. A positive test is a strong diagnostic character, but a negative test does not mean that the plants do not have the disease. Another test is to place a freshly cut stem from a wilted part of the plant in a glass of water. If bacterial wilt is present, a milky exudate will appear at the cut ends. Both of these tests require patience, as the bacteria are in a sticky material and may not readily ooze from the cut stem.

#28521 July 13th, 2005 at 07:28 AM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks papito. I didn't save the vines.. I put them directly into the trash. However, the photos they showed of the wilt, did look a lot like the vines I tossed. Not all my vines were affected.. I think it was 1-2 of them.

Meg

Link Copied to Clipboard