This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28454 May 16th, 2005 at 05:35 AM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have two well established clematis's (jackamann) (6 years or more) and I've been taking good care of them each fall so they wouldn't freeze for the winter. I'm worried because they should be up by now, but aren't. It has been very cool so maybe that has something to do with it. Do clematis have a life span?

#28455 May 16th, 2005 at 06:17 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
A healthy Clematis should live for 20-30 years (at least). They won't begin their spring growth until the soil warms up enough for their liking. IF they have survived your climate for six years already, they are probably fine. Its been a strange year for weather everywhere. Don't give up... they'll show up soon!

#28456 May 16th, 2005 at 06:28 AM
D
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the encouragement. I go out everyday and check for buds and new growth. Every year I cut it down, and leave the odd stem. So far nothing, no buds on the stems or new growth coming from the ground, so here I am,....... waiting. We had a couple of days in April where we had some warmer temps, but ever since, it's been cold with minus temps at night and very low temps in the daytime. The north wind doesn't help either. Hmmm....middle of May...it seems like it's time for them to pop up their heads.

#28457 May 16th, 2005 at 03:44 PM
U
uki Offline
U
flw Hi Daisy,I am from cold ontario too,I checked my clematis on saturday,jackmanni ,nelly moser,tangutica and alpina constance are all coming but my favorite 5 year old paniculata(sweet autumn)didn't survive.luckily i remembert were i had bought it and went and got a new one.it is still in the house which is getting very crowded by now.the forecast is cool temps.for the rest of the week. ters hope you have more luck.uki

Link Copied to Clipboard