This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27882 July 5th, 2005 at 11:10 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hello,
New and glad I found ya..I have a few questions and here goes.
I have loamy soil that we plant a garden every year. last two years its been great. but this year
the weather is weird and veggies are slow growing. i wonder for next year...what should I do about the soil to rejuvenate it (in fall or next spring)and what is the best power booster for my plants right now? I only have toms and green & red bells. Oh and I also have 2 horses that give me plenty of organ(ic) waste- per say...thanks

#27883 July 6th, 2005 at 02:53 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
COMPOST, COMPOST AND MORE COMPOST...
(*Make it yourself or start off with buying some bags is okay too*)
AND throw in some of that great aged manure
and you're off to an AWESOME start..

Blood Meal, Bone Meal, Fish Meal, Cottonseed Meal,
etc. are all great sources of organic additives
that you can add to your soil to improve it..
They're slow to release and gentle on your plants..
Fish emulsion is a great foliar feed too...

P/S Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way, dont' think I've gotten to talk with you before...

There's lot's to do here, and lot's of great info and The friendliest gardening community on the internet...

#27884 July 7th, 2005 at 06:27 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm a new gardener so please check this information but I think you are suppose to move the tomatoes around from year to year. Not plant them in the same spot each time. I don't know if this will help at all but I try.

#27885 July 8th, 2005 at 08:37 PM
I'd also set me a pile going in the sun for that horse manure.it is very good for the garden.I have a mix of horse/rabbit poo I add on plants and in the compost "piles"Rake all your leaves and rake grass clippings and add to compost and tea bags/coffe grounds/paper/veggie scraps /egg shells/colas/old tea to compost& get a good compost fork.you can spread this stuff out on your bed durring the winter and keep soil turned and will break down& can till(and HOPE you don't have to hand till like I did)you can also grow cover crops for the winter and till them over in spring to add nutrients to the soil.

as for "NOW "improvements.you could buy a bag or 2 of mushroom compost& spread around the bases of your plants and lay grass clipping s and stuff on them and add mulch as needed and fish emolshion would make them happy.I Just did the fish emolsion with fertlizer and epson salts in my hose end sprayer on plants and veggies.I plant marigolds around my tomatoes.My bell peppers have been slow this year.I did wonder if was maybe too cold when I sowed them in april.we had a cooler April.so ?how tall are your tomatoes?I have some that are over 8 feet.I have early girls and 1 celebrity.

#27886 July 9th, 2005 at 12:22 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Hello and thanks for that info. Its sound like something I can do easily. Well my toms arent great - small so far. our weather was weird went from 88 , rain then 99' over night. but my bells are comeing along nicely. My weeds and bermuda grass is very healthy , ha! I have heard that vinager is a great weed killer, similar to round up. My neighbor said she used it in her front driveway and killed some weeds. Yes they died. Sounds good but I would use it in my garden guess ill have to do it by hand. Im off to read other posts thanks again for the info!A

Link Copied to Clipboard