This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27752 October 3rd, 2005 at 10:20 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Is it possible to take the top of a tomato plant and root it and then over winter that for next years crop?

It probably a crazy question but I just wondered.

#27753 October 3rd, 2005 at 10:44 AM
I think ya oughta try it. Interesting concept - I hope someone knows and/or has tried.

#27754 October 3rd, 2005 at 07:38 PM
P
P
Here you go TKH:

http://www.vegetableseed.net/heirlo...omato-seeds/rooting-tomato-cuttings.html

from the above site...

Rooting Tomato Cuttings

In this locality July and August are the best time to root tomato cuttings. The tops and suckers will root readily if inserted in boxes of moist sand or moist shady places. The cutting should be 3 or 4 inches in length. Keep well watered, and they will be nicely rooted in about 9 days, when they should be taken up and set the same as for seedlings. They will begin bearing almost as soon as they begin growing well. They are preferable to seedlings.

In making the cuttings half of each large leaf should be taken off.

#27755 October 3rd, 2005 at 09:45 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
This is so cool. I have one more question though so I hope your still around lol. If they begin baring fruit as soon as they start growing well am I going to have winter tomatoes? I mean it's only october and they grew pretty fast this spring as seedlings. I took for cuttings and they are in very moist soil that I got from my compost pile. And my "found" potting table is in a very nice protected shady location so I think I'm good on all counts.

Thankyou so much for the information. I'm very excited. I so hope this works. I have probably another 12 days or more until first frost so I have time to take more cuttings if these don't do very well.

Link Copied to Clipboard