This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27724 July 21st, 2005 at 11:02 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I have a leylandi hedge which provides us with a lot of privacy. It is not too high so it doesn't cause problems with neighbours.
However, one of the roots from this hedge has surfaced on the lawn and is not only unsightly but causes problems when cutting the lawn.
Would like advice on whether I could cut this root out without causing any problems to the hedge.
regards
geraint

#27725 July 22nd, 2005 at 10:18 AM
Hi geraint~ wavey

Welcome to the forum!

Just wanted to let you know that this post should be down in Landscaping so you'll be sure to get good replies...

I'll let one of the hostesses know because they can move it for you.

Again, it's good to meet you and best of luck with that hedge!

Merme

#27726 July 22nd, 2005 at 10:34 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Geraintjo,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!
We are very glad you found us!!!!

Just to let you know...I'll move your post
down into the plants AND flowers SECTION for your
plant info....

And there's lot's to do here.. for every season..
I hope you'll pop in on us often....
Even in the winter months we're busy here....

#27727 July 23rd, 2005 at 10:25 PM
P
P
Info on Leylandii Hedges at

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/deleted/consultations/leylandii-01.htm

Leylandii have become increasingly popular as a hedging plant over the last thirty years. The plant quickly provides a dense screen, grows well in a wide range of soil and weather conditions and is cheap and readily available across the country. It grows at a rate of 1 metre (3 feet) per year - more than any other hedging plant. To be properly maintained as a hedge it should be trimmed at least two or three times a year. If it is not trimmed, it can reach heights of over 30 metres (100 feet). Other conifers, such as the Lawson cypress (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana) and Western red cedar (Thuja plicata), are also commonly used as hedges, though their use has declined as Leylandii have become more popular. While these other conifers do not grow as fast as Leylandii, they could also cause a problem if left to grow unchecked.
I don't know the extent of damage to the hedge is if the exposed [lateral] root is cut. I know that the more important primary roots usually travels downward and are not exposed.

If you don't want to cut the roots for fear of damaging the hedge, you could dig under the root deep enough to push the root down and cover with gravel and soil and hope that it doesn't surface again.

Another thought would be to telephone tree arborists in your area and ask the them for their opinion.

Link Copied to Clipboard