This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27596 July 7th, 2005 at 05:55 AM
OP Offline
We have this blessed tree in the front that produces the most amazing fruit. We have no fence, it sits close to the sidewalk. We don't mind sharing with everyone as this tree really produces and thats what having fruit trees is all about right? Wrong. The last 3 years we've lived here, we've eaten a total of like 4 peaches, because people come and completely clean it off! My neighboor said that she saw someone (when she lived in this house) as he had finished filling several hefty bags and was loading them in his pick up truck early one morning. mad

So this year...I made a sign that said "private tree" and I threw a huge bird net over it. Well the next day, I get home from work, the net is torn off half way, huge branches (with fruit all over them) are laying all over the sidewalk and the sign is ripped out of the ground. ters ters ters

They didn't steal any fruit...just got mad and blamed it on the tree.

Now I feel crappy for being a hog or something but...its our tree ya know??? I've been so upset over this and couldn't even clean up the mess for 2 days.

My neighbor and I were planning to harvest the tree, then make jam and pass it out all down our street along with extra fruit, but now I really don't feel like doing that.

Thanks for listening!

#27597 July 7th, 2005 at 11:31 AM
LMT Offline
What can I say. Some people are evil and act as if the only reason for you to exist is so they can exploit you. (PG/PC version)

#27598 July 7th, 2005 at 01:06 PM
Winter Rosebud, I feel for you. We have been dealing with neighbors that don't respect our property as well. And no, I don't think it is being selfish to expect people to understand property rights. You were not being a hog. You are a property owner and deserve to reap the rewards of that property. Don't get me started. I could tell you some tales and we have only been here for 2 years.

P.S. Good to see you back here!

Dianna

#27599 July 7th, 2005 at 06:18 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Geeze, and I was upset about the loss of some flowers. I wonder if that rash giving plant would grow under a fruit tree at least on the sidwalk side. I'd certainly be thinking about it after someone did that to a tree.

#27600 July 7th, 2005 at 06:20 PM
Meg Offline
I can't imagine why someone would be so mean, as to destroy a beautiful tree like that. My mind just can't wrap around it.

#27601 July 9th, 2005 at 02:38 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the sympathy everyone! Crazy how I can get so upset over a tree. I told Jimmy I wanted to sleep out on the front porch and catch this person.

Please let me know about that rash giving plant... laugh ...or is there such thing as a spitting hissing plant?

#27602 July 9th, 2005 at 06:56 AM
HI sorry about your tree. you could allways buy you a mean pit bull dog and put him a house out by the tree.just a thought.sorry to hear abought your peach tree its sounds like teenage kids to me with no up bringing.but i do fill your pain.thats one reasion i moved out into the country.to get away from all the meaness and trouble makers.i hope you do catch them or find out who did it. if you do call the police on them and make them pay.did you ask any of your nabours if they saw anyone? your friend in gardening.mike57

#27603 July 9th, 2005 at 08:31 AM
There is a way to catch someone. Every year our plums would disappear. Last year the people behind us video taped my neighbors taking the plums. When I confronted the lady about it she denied it saying "I'm a Christian. I don't steal." Then I asked if she wanted to see the video tape. They didn't get the plums this year.

#27604 July 9th, 2005 at 09:00 AM
Good job, Sheri! You should have taken a picture of the egg on her face then. laugh laugh laugh

Dianna

#27605 July 9th, 2005 at 11:16 AM
How about a motion sensor that would turn on music, such as "Stars and Stripes Forever" or some other loud marching band type of music. Set the volume really loud! It would give the whole neighborhood a chance to see the culprits. HeeeeHeeee!

#27606 July 9th, 2005 at 07:42 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Oh, that would be good...

I can feel your pain...
I'd be not a happy camper...

I'd be on patrol watching constantly...

Any chance of a white picket fence around
it, so far out, that no arms length can
get at any fruit...????

#27607 July 9th, 2005 at 11:35 PM
G
G
We have hostile neighbors who steal the tangerines from our tree. Last year when I saw them, truck pulled up to the fence, grabbing branches and pulling them over the fence line to strip the plant clean, I walked out and asked them to please stop. Their response? "Why?" I point out that it was my tree and in my yard and I cared for it and would like to benefit from it and they threatened me. Hubby came out and they threatened him as well. Fortunately he has a very cool head and simply told them "hey, we all have to live in this neighborhood...we can either get along, or not...it's up to you."

I have found most plant people to be extremely generous...I hate when others take advantage. frown

Is the fruit on the broken limbs salvagable?

#27608 July 10th, 2005 at 08:15 PM
Originally posted by GiraffeMSW:
We have hostile neighbors who steal the tangerines from our tree. Last year when I saw them, truck pulled up to the fence, grabbing branches and pulling them over the fence line to strip the plant clean, I walked out and asked them to please stop. Their response? "Why?" I point out that it was my tree and in my yard and I cared for it and would like to benefit from it and they threatened me. Hubby came out and they threatened him as well. Fortunately he has a very cool head and simply told them "hey, we all have to live in this neighborhood...we can either get along, or not...it's up to you."

I have found most plant people to be extremely generous...I hate when others take advantage. frown

Is the fruit on the broken limbs salvagable?
If that had been I had gotten the shotgun and took a shot at them.

#27609 July 10th, 2005 at 08:16 PM
I have two cherry trees in front of the house and I watch them very closely when they have fruit on them. I have been known to stand in the front door when I see people stopping to look at them.

#27610 July 13th, 2005 at 05:37 AM
Maybe you could get one of those motion dector dealies that squirts water. That would surprise them and hopefully make them think twice about their actions. Such mean, awful people, makes me sad...

#27611 July 14th, 2005 at 08:17 AM
G
G
The least expensive solution for this that I can think of is a $30 web cam hooked up to your computer. It is easy to do a software based motion activation that triggers the camera to take either still images or video. I did this when we were having problems with vandals in the dorms, and it worked great. That way it could be left on at all times and only record when people are near the tree. Plus they are a lot less expensive than a full out video surveillance system.
However, how close is the tree to the nearest window in your house? You would probably want it to be less than 40 feet to get a clear image of the perpetrators and hopefully a license plate number (if it is further away, you could get a nicer camera with a zoom feature). I am sure the friendly folks at your local Radio Shack, Best Buy, or other computer store would be happy to help you select an appropriate camera.

If you aren"t up for that, a $10 fake camera and a sign saying that your home is under video surveillance usually works just as well.
However, neither of those options are as satisfying as putting a poor tempered rot or pit bull next to the tree… LOL.

Link Copied to Clipboard