This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27409 July 30th, 2005 at 10:48 AM
E
OP Offline
E
I was given a hibiscus in June after my father's funeral. I came home to find it in my livingroom where it had no water for 2-3 days, minimal light and air conditioning. The leaves were drooping, yellow and had black spots on the underside. After much reading, I found it to be very happy in my backyard with our hot, humid summer here and it has been blooming well the last couple weeks, but there are still black spots on the underside of the mature leaves which are also curling. Now I'm loosing leaves again, turning yellow and dying and the branches are already half bare. I have no idea what's wrong or what to do - any suggestions?

#27410 July 30th, 2005 at 12:57 PM
wavey HI e.heffren I assume its a tropical hibiscus if so it sounds like it is under stress of some sort.i would remove the leaves with black spots on them and discard them into the trash can,it should be putting on new growth so it will hurt the plant.here is a link i found for you that will help your hibiscus plant.it deals with hibiscus plants only.
http://www.hibiscus.org/faq-2.php
it should have all the information you will need to bring it back to good health.hope you find it helpful.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

#27411 July 30th, 2005 at 08:53 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks Mike, I will definately check it out.
Elisabeth

#27412 August 1st, 2005 at 07:43 PM
oHi Elisabeth,
in my country (Roumania / south -east Europe)from this hibiscus problem we make thus: buy a bottle of beer and washing the hibiscus's leaves with beer. (once per month)
It's not a joke. The properties of the beer are so good from the hibiscus.
Now, I'm not sure if that "recipe" is available for your area!
By the way, what kind (tipe) of Hibiscus you have (Natasja, Ivan Smith, Miss Liberty, Concorde, Eye of the Storm, Fifth Dimensionetc) or Hibiscus Divaricatus, heterophillus, diversifolius, Splendens or Australian Native Hibiscus (all latest are australian species).
If you want I help you, I am looking forward to more details.
I'm sorry for my English, but it's not my native language!
PS: In Romanian the name of hibiscus is trandafir japonez (chinezesc) translate in english word by word japanese (chinese) rose

#27413 August 1st, 2005 at 08:36 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Welcome Toma I'm glad you found us.

#27414 August 3rd, 2005 at 02:24 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Toma Welcome to the forum. I would love to have seeds from your Hibiscuc in Romania as well as any seed from your Australian Hibiscus. I have also seen it called Chinese rose. your post are very interesting can learn a lot of you. i have som Manhot Sweet Yellow will be getting seeds from if you like. also go to my photobucket link you can see what Hibiscus I have.
Jimmy

#27415 August 3rd, 2005 at 02:56 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Hi Toma, welcome! I don't know what kind of Hibiscus it is. When it showed up in my livingroom, it had one yellow bloom. Then the plant struggled until I put it outside my window and when it bloomed again they were peach or light orange with a red center. It is threes stems braided together. It didn't come with any instructions, tags or anything. Anything I have figured out so far I have gotten from the internet. I had a Hibiscus once as a teenager but I froze it to death not knowing it was tropical :-)

#27416 August 3rd, 2005 at 03:18 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
e.heffren: You have a braided Hibiscus Mine are Tropical have one that is a kind of pink and the other is Yellow. I have to bring mine inside in the winter. But I do most of mine anyway so far have had very good luck doing that. If the leaves are shiny it is probably a tropical go to my photobucket and look at mine if yours look like that they are tropical but if the leaves are not shiny but kind of dull most likely you have a Hardy. My grandsons girl friend is asian she said the braided Hibiscus is for luck.
Jimmy

#27417 August 3rd, 2005 at 03:51 AM
E
OP Offline
E
jv: I was just looking at my plant. The young, healthy leaves are shiny but not glossy. They the black spots begin to appear, first kind of brownish then darkening up, The leaves begin to curl, lose their lusture, dry a little and then yellow and die.
Elisabeth

#27418 August 3rd, 2005 at 12:24 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Mary: Have you tried making a garlic pepper tea with dish liquid or a tea out of organic cornmeal? I had a few blackspots on mine last year they were in full sun. Sprayed it a couple of times have not seen any since. Like Mike57 said you may want to pull your leaves off and put in the garbage can to be sent to a landfill. If you do always pull up on the leaf never pull down as it can stipr the bark on the branch and cause more damage. the cornmeal tea you take and put in an old panty hose or any Nylon stocking and place in a container of water let it set a few days then put in a spray bottle makeing sure NO cornemal solids go into the spray bottle and spray every inch of the plant real good do not miss anywhere get it all. also put that cornmeal in the soil it is a fertilizer as well as a funcacide and is 100% safe for all children and pets. Hope this helps you.

#27419 August 4th, 2005 at 04:26 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks JV, I'll give it a try
Elisabeth

Link Copied to Clipboard