This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27197 May 24th, 2005 at 02:21 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
One nice thing about the slowdowns is that I get to do more research on my plants. I found out that I had been underwatering my White Caladiums and that produced the very small leaves that came up. So I know I have to keep them moister than I have been. That's good to know and I'm glad I didn't lose them in the process of learning.

#27198 May 24th, 2005 at 03:02 PM
A
A
Gardening in general is a trial and error undertaking. You learn what works and deosn't work, and usually kill a few plants in the process. I'm a Master Gardener but I'm still learning the hard way. I've read countless books and magazine articles, but never really found out much until I tried it myself.

#27199 May 24th, 2005 at 07:47 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi Alan,

I'm still learning everything, lol, with the concurrent losses. But I am starting to have a few wins as well so I'm pretty happy at this point. I've never had "keep moist" plants before but this year the forum gave me courage. So I have purple passion and the caladium. Far more than I ever would have spent on a single plant for either one of them I might add. I'm in Virginia and it is humid during the late spring summer and fall months so I'm learning to gage what they need waterwise. I have a tendency to overwater so imagine my suprise when I managed to underwater something. shk

Thank you for the understanding response to my post.

#27200 May 25th, 2005 at 02:35 PM
I read that caladiums & cannas & some other large leaf plants came from the rain forest & the like damp soil the big leaves are natures way of collecting every drop of rain & dew the plant needs to make them flourish. kit

#27201 May 25th, 2005 at 08:06 PM
Sounds like caladium goes good with hostas, and adds a splash of color, too! Thanks for posting about them - gave me an idea!

Mary

#27202 May 25th, 2005 at 08:23 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
They are really neat plants and I really like having them. They are a warm weather plant though. Would that cause you a problem Mary? I was thinking about adding the coleus to that planter for a fill in plant once it recovers from it's rough start in life lol.

#27203 May 25th, 2005 at 08:37 PM
Hey TK! Hmm, it does get very hot & humid here during the summer, but I just checked, and it looks like it (edit: 'it' being caladium) does well in z9-10, and Im in z6 frown I wonder if it'd work if I just took them in the house for the winter? May be even keep them potted and plant them with their pot for easy removal come fall. Whatcha think?

Mary

#27204 May 26th, 2005 at 08:40 AM
S
S
I started mine in pots indoors, planning on setting the plants in a hosta bed later, but decided to keep them in containers on the porch. Now I think I'm gonna set them in the ground pots and all (cheap plastic jobbies). I like the idea of being able to lift them out in the fall. The caladiums sure do like a lot of moisture, but the plastic pots help minimize watering.

#27205 May 26th, 2005 at 11:52 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Mary I don't know how cold it gets at night and that would be my concern. My memory is bad but I think you might lose them if it goes much below 60 and stays there any amount of time. Would your temperatures at night be within that range? I was talking to one of our Florida members and she says she puts hers out in Summer but I would be afraid to and i'm in zone 7a. Especially with the weird weather we've been having this year lol.

Here is a plant that would go great in the shade handle your temps year round and has color. Japanese Painted Fern Ursula's Red 'Athyrium nipponicum Ursula's Red'

I've been really happy that they aren't requiring the window sill to do well. I've got it filled with full sun plants and there is no way I could find space for a 30" planter.

#27206 May 27th, 2005 at 03:16 AM
Wow, T, those are gorgeous! I think your hunch is right, about our night temps. We are probably getting down around 60, if not below, at least now. Once summer hits, we probably won't go below 70, but it's still a bit too close to take the chance.

I'm definitely adding Ursula's red to my wish list! That would look gorgeous with the hostas. Thanks!

Mary

Link Copied to Clipboard