This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27036 August 18th, 2005 at 10:05 PM
C
coachpk Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I planted a zucchini plant in a large planter in June. It has been constantly producing large yellow flowers and what looks like a "baby" zucchini behind them. But the zucchinis have never materialized.
Anyone know why this is occurring?

Hi coach. You may have noticed some of the flowers have the embryo fruit and others have no embryo and are on a long stalk. The ones with the embryo are the female flowers, the others are the male. Pick a male flower, peel off the petals and brush the inner part of the open female flowers with it. This will pollinate them. You may notice there are more flowers open in the morning and this is the best time to do it.
BTW you can eat the flowers too, raw with a salad or fried in a bit of olive oil. Have a munch on one straight of the plant and see if you like the flavour. Don't eat a bee!

LMT Offline
My zucchini and yellow summer squash seem to have a pact. No more then one plant fruits at a time. I have bees, I think it's the weather.

Tomatoes and peppers are nice, beans were good until the evil bunnies got them.

I had this problem for a couple years. I would try to grow one or two plants and they would eventually shrivel up. The thing is they need pollination. My solution was to plant about 6 plants and I have tons of zucchini now! I like to make a really yummy zucchini bread and freeze it and I like a chocolate zucchini cake too. I also grill the little ones!
Another pointer: make sure to pick them often because they stop producing for a while if the flowers fall off the fruit. In fact they always seem to produce in waves.

#27040 September 1st, 2005 at 11:58 AM
Please share your choc. zuchini cake recipe! Thanks.

#27041 September 2nd, 2005 at 06:58 AM
Ok I will gather it and post at recipes.

#27042 September 3rd, 2005 at 01:25 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Ohhhhhhh, that recipe sounded
DELICIOUS!!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard