This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26819 August 2nd, 2005 at 10:18 AM
OP Offline
Okay, I'm thorougly confused (as if that's new laugh ) I would like some dinner plate hibiscus. Simple enough right? Well, I do NOT want rose of sharons - they're everywhere here...grow like weeds. They look like a mini tree, just to explain what I'm calling a rose of sharon (in case it's not one!) I do not want any of these (can you tell I really don't want these?) When I look up dinner plate hibiscus online, the ones I'm finding are called 'hardy hibiscus' But when I look up hardy hibiscus, I find rose of sharon. (Insert 5 screaming graemlins here)

Is this like all poodles are dogs but not all dogs are poodles type thing?

JV & Mike have posted pics of the type I'm lookin for...I don't want to end up planting a rose of sharon thinking Im getting a dinner plate hibiscus like theirs laugh

Can someone please set me straight? Well, erm...may be not straight but... laugh laugh

Thanks! confused

#26820 August 2nd, 2005 at 10:28 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
rose of sharon is a small hardy hibiscus off-shoot type thing. It's funny that as close in appearance as they are, I like the hibiscus but not the rose of sharon.

yepper poodle thing is right. If you order a dinner plate hibiscus you are not going to get a rose of sharon.

My landlord has a tropical hibiscus with a braided trunk that he keeps inside. And I like it, but I never cared for the rose of sharon my dad had when I was a kid. I think it has to do with it being called a rose and it isn't. Silly that, that should make such a difference to me but it does.

#26821 August 2nd, 2005 at 10:47 AM
OP Offline
Thanks! That totally clears it up for me. I thought I was losin my marble. (last one) I love those braided ones too.

I really just didn't want to end up with a rose of sharon - and I think it's the same reason as yours as silly as it seems! Thanks wink

#26822 August 2nd, 2005 at 11:33 PM
wavey HI All do not buy any i will have lots of seeds to trade this year.some of my plants are just now putting on seed pods.i will post a seed tradeing list this fall to trade or will do S.A.S.E. for them. i have lots of different flowers so i will have a large seed list.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

#26823 August 2nd, 2005 at 11:39 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm drooling over your list already and it's months from being posted lol. I am soooooo bad. Worst thing about it is I won't have any space to put anything I might get anyway. I guess that cigarette money is going to have to go towards a plot of land somewhere.

#26824 August 3rd, 2005 at 02:12 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
rose of sharon is also called Althea so watch for that. Like Mike I am expecting to have seeds this year. Tk I also have two braided Hibiscus One pink and one yellow I posted photo's of them in June I think. Anyway you can see them on my photobucket link. I like rose of Sharon myself . My sister and I are trying to ring our properties in New Mexico (they join)with every color of ROS we can find anything to break the West and south winds in summer and the North winds in winter.We figure we may have it about half done before we are each dead. Be watching this fall for my trade list. I know I will have Zabrina seeds and some Manhot Sweet Yellow seeds. Most of pepper seeds have already ask for.
Jimmy

#26825 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:41 AM
OP Offline
I'm drooling over your list already and it's months from being posted
ME TOO! Over both of your lists...geesh, I guess I better stock up on stamps - and find a bigger spot to keep my seeds - and a spot to start stuff indoors over the winter - and..and...and laugh Thanks guys - you're both sweethearts! wink JV we have ROS growing everywhere here....if there's any specific color you're looking for let me know and I'll keep my eyes peeled when I'm driving around town and I can try to get some for you!

#26826 August 3rd, 2005 at 12:10 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I have the purple and white right now. Not sure what all colors my sister has. I sent her about 20 last year from Springhill Nurseies for her birthday. But any color would be fine and thank you very much.

#26827 August 3rd, 2005 at 05:02 PM
Meg Offline
I absolutely LOVE hibiscus. I had one given to me last year, but I guess it wasn't hardy.. it died over the winter, never to return. I just can't be bothered with ones that need to be brought in.. I can't bring them in, so they must be hardy. Hey, if you have any HARDY hibiscus, I'd love to go on a list for some kind of trade, or something. wink I can't seem to find the hardy ones here.. I guess they just want to sell hibiscus, and don't care if they won't live past the winter here. *sigh* It's like the Mandevilla I saw at Lowes.. absolutely one of the most beautiful I've seen.. needs to be brought in if it gets to 50F. frown That just isn't happening, not in this house!

Meg

Link Copied to Clipboard