This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26794 November 18th, 2005 at 01:59 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well it's November and my caladium are sleepy but they put up these tiny leaves. So it's not like they are dormant yet. Do I just exercise patience at this point until they finally decide to stop putting up new shoots? Then what. I could use some help. This is my first year taking care of these kinds of plants and I've never had to care for a dormant tuber before.

#26795 November 18th, 2005 at 02:51 AM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
They are a tender plant, so don't let them get cold. Just keep an eye on the temperature in your area. It wouldn't hurt to dig them up, as I'm pretty sure they won't produce much of anything now.

#26796 November 18th, 2005 at 06:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Tammy,

Caladiums are somewhat difficult to maintain in the home environment. They must have lots of very bright light, although they need some protection from hot mid-day sun. They also require warm temps above 65 degrees (preferably 70 degrees) at all times and high humidity helps as well.

Finally, they have a 4-month dormant period (usually in winter) during which the leaves die back completely. For this reason, many people buy caladiums in the early summer and discard them in the fall as they go into dormancy. As the leaves die back in the fall, it is best to reduce watering until all leaves have withered. Then unpot the plant and store the tuber in dry peat moss in a cool (55 to 60 degrees) location for about 4 months or until new growth starts to emerge. Repot at that time.

#26797 November 19th, 2005 at 01:08 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thankyou Will, I was wondering what to do with the little leaves that were left. Have to store them in dry peat moss. I'm glad you told me that. I probably would have tried to do the paper bag thing and then wondered why they didn't sprout next year lol. They were really pretty when they first came up.

Link Copied to Clipboard