This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26653 December 25th, 2005 at 12:01 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is a link to the thread in plants and flowers about my Japanese Maple questions. Japanese Maple Questions

After reading that, you'll have a good idea in your head, I think, of what I want for the house we are building. I want some really nice beds in the front of the house in front of the front porch (which I'm hoping will wrap around to the side of the house). The beds need to be easy to take care of because I'm not going to have a ton of extra time on my hands.....on the other hand, I'll have a WHOLE LOT more of daylight to work with. Anyways, easy plants and shrubs are best for me. Any ideas???

#26654 December 27th, 2005 at 04:34 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I was just discussing some plants that are more cold hardy than will work down here in Virginia and that have some nice winter interest features too. They are the chinese lanterns and the money plant. As long as you put down a root barrier for the chinese lanterns they are very easy care. Both plants make fantastic dried arrangements also. I also lose the miniature snapdragons in the summer here because they aren't really heat tolerant. They may do very well for you in your zone. Good luck with your move.

#26655 December 27th, 2005 at 10:43 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ya know, I have both the lantern plant and the money plant at this house. I collect seeds from them for my mother in law and my mom every year. I guess this year I will collect the seeds for myself and try them up in AK.

Its looking like the zone that we will be in will be either one of the 4's or 5's. Apparently what I thought was Suldotna was really Sodovia which is much more south than what we were planning. :rolleyes:

Right now our focus is more on the house planning than anything, but the landscaping is still in the back of my mind.

#26656 December 28th, 2005 at 01:54 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Here are some maples that are cold hardy and have attractive foliage.

Acer (Maple)

'ginnala 'Embers'
Description: A great xeriscape plant, this outstanding Amur Maple was selected for is bright red fruit and exceptional scarlet fall color.
Height: 15-20' Width: 15-25' zone: 3

japonicum 'Aconitifolium'
Description: Rounded bushy habit. Magnificent crimson fall color.
Height: 8-10' zone: 5 This may be pushing the zone to the limit but I wanted to add it because of the fall color.

palmatum 'Ojishi'
Description: One of several "lion's head" Japanese maples, this particular cultivar is named for the male lion in Japanese mythology. Namesake characteristics include small rich green leaves that are densely packed onto short stems and again short branches. This gives a very rounded look and when the burnt orange and gold colors arrive in the fall it is truly suggestive of a "lion's head". A superb cultivar for the small landscape garden or bonsai culture.
zone: 5

palmatum 'Osakasuki'
Description: This upright growing, robust tree is a perfect patio plant. It is a very old cultivar, noted for its fall color. It grows rapidly in youth, then slows to mature gracefully. Its large, seven-lobed palmate leaves turn an unmatched, intense crimson in the fall. Forms a large, sturdy tree. Full sun preferred for best color.

palmatum 'Oshio beni'
Description: Palmate, bronzy-red. New growth is vibrant orange-red. Medium size. Has outstanding shape.

Height: 15-20' zone: 5

palmatum 'Red Emperor'
Description: 'Red Emporer' is similar in appearance to 'Bloodgood', however, it has the distinct advantage of not leafing out until about two weeks later in the spring. In areas of the country that are prone to a late frost, 'Red Emperor' has an exceptional advantage. The dark red leaf colors last throughout the season. In the fall, the leaves turn to a fiery crimson.

palmatum 'Red Pygmy'
Description: Red-maroon linearilobum leaves (very narrow with almost string-like lobes) on a upright linear plant.

Height: 7-13' zone: 5

palmatum 'Sherwood Flame'
Description: Vigorous small tree with strong red, deeply divided leaves.

Height: 8-10' zone: 5

I hope some of these are of interest to you. I know zone 5 is probably pushing the mark just a bit but I couldn't find a japanese maple that was hardy above that zone.

#26657 December 28th, 2005 at 09:38 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks a bunch!! I'm going to look at some pictures of them and put a couple on my list. smile

#26658 December 28th, 2005 at 10:33 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I love looking up plants. I'll try not to overdo though. I know I get to the point where I get overwhelmed when I start a project. There is just so much about gardening I don't know how anyone could possibly learn even most of it.

#26659 December 28th, 2005 at 09:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It depends on where you live. I live in Northern Alabama. My front flower beds are Alabama Red Clay. I have found that black eyed Susan grows well in this location/soil. 2 years ago I planted 4 in one bed and 3 in the other. They have now taken over the gardens. So my front gardens are usually a sunny orange color until late November. Black Eyed Susan is low maintaince. All they need is a little trimming to keep them from growing over my walk ways. This year I am plotting to transplant the Black Eyed Susan to a different spot in my yard. I want RED or PURPLE in my front gardens. I am planning on trying clematis. I am hoping that by trimming the plants they will cover my walk way gardens with lovely blooms.

Link Copied to Clipboard