This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hello,

yesterday i got a anthurium flamingo,very nice ,it s my first houseplant in yearssss.but my cat always is eating it no matter where i put it ,so please is there something i can put on or aroud the plant ...pppllleaas3e help.

thank you very much.

OP Offline
oh and is it harmful to the cat,wouldn t she be eating it if it were,i ve heard that cats know what to eat and what plant not to eat in the nature.

thanks.

Francine you can try spraying her with water from a spray bottle when you see her start to nibble at it. You could also get a catnip toy for her to play with instead of finding the time to be occupied with your plant wink Good luck!

OP Offline
thanks Mary,

i d completely forgot about the bottle,i use to do that when they were little,10 yrs ago,yap thanks,and i ll buy the catnip for them to play while where not there.

right now we re going to my parents place,the family wants to throw a supper for keiths 44 birthday so meanwhile i ve put the plant on the highest place where she can t reach,we ll see when we come back.

thanks very much.

Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
grinnnn 12 guage shotgun?

Hi Francine--Oh do I identify! We have 5 cats, but only 1 is so bad about tearing into my plants. So most of my plants are in hanging planters. I just make sure none of them are hanging over something the cat can get onto to reach! The plants that aren't hanging are in rooms that are off-access to the cats. Water spray usually works with cats, but you don't always catch them. If I could I'd have plants everywhere, but when you have pets, you need to make concessions, & that can be frustrating.
Good Luck!! kit

OP Offline
thanks spider lady,

didn t think of hanging them(not the 3 cats but the plant) laugh

i ll try it along with the bottle

thanks.

Some pet stores actually offer something called cat grass......it is just what he name says grass in a planter for the cats to eat and mess with. They are eating your plants most likely due to a upset tummy. Its natural for them to sooth a tummy ach on grass. Why dont you find a safe alternative for them like that. Then you can grow something else and they can play in it. Might be kinda amuseing to watch them.

OP Offline
Karry,

hi,thanks for the info.,i didn t know about cats and tummy aches,it s very interresting would you have some other infos like that,i d be interrested ,got 3 cats.

i ll try to look for the cat grass.

thank you.

There is also special cat food by purina for indoor cats it has some of the same elements that cats would get if they were outside and able to get to the grass that they love to eat. It helps with their digestive systems. Might want to try that as well.

Karry:
I hadn't heard about the cat food--Of course, with 5 of them, it's always hard to feed one something different. But I did try the kitty grass & sorry to say it didn't work--for me at least. It's worth a try.
Lynne idea

my cat picasso ate my tropical hibiscus BALD over the winter and loves to chew on the old flowers! luckily i was able to revive it. i know what your going through! i feel for ya! hes never got sick from them but i heard you can actually cook with certain kinds of hibiscuses... i would check into your plants and becareful of the plants you do buy.

a mixture of caynne pepper and water in a spray bottle used once a week may be a great way to stop cats. It does mine.
Mrs.b

OP Offline
hello

i luv hibiscus and mrs b i d like first of all to welcome you to the forum and hope you re gonna stay with us a long time,for my part i m here since april and could not do without this wonderful forum.

thank you for your advices, i moved my plant on the microwave(i know it sound funny but it works) and the cats never touched it again.

hope to talk to you soon,thanks again and have a good week.

hazel(for mrs b)

laugh

francine.

Link Copied to Clipboard