This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26573 June 5th, 2005 at 01:43 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Anyone growning sundrops in zone 7?
If so, what kind of soil are u growing them in and are they easy to control from spreading?

My grandmother had some in her garden years ago when i was a young boy, but that was in Vermont. Just wondering how they do in the South.....

I have many native flowers in my garden and i would like to have some of everything. I know sundrops prefer well-drained soil; so, i would probably have to create a raised bed for them.
I know it's kind of late in the spring to start them, but i was thinking of at least getting them out in the fall so they will bloom next season.

#26574 June 6th, 2005 at 06:17 AM
F
OP Offline
F
I think i found the answer to my own question... I was driving in the mts of NC this afternoon and i spotted some sundrops growing wild on the side of the road. The location seemed to be rather shady, but they were doing quite well;so, i dug up about 4 clumps.... Duh I also dug up some verbena that i spotted on the edge of a field... thumbup

#26575 June 6th, 2005 at 06:24 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Bob,
Are you talking about these??
Oenothera /Sundrops

I have `em...
Planted them and haven't done a thing to them
since... They're quite hardy..

The lady that gave them to me,
just yanked them out of the dirt
and handed them to me,
I about died, when I saw the way she
treated them, and she said, don't worry
they'll survive..
Yikes, they survived alright!!

VERY HARDY little plants..
They spread by underground runners..
And spread they do.....
I swear every year I'm gonna rip them out,
but when they start bloomin', I'm like,
Nahhhhhhh, not this year..

#26576 June 6th, 2005 at 07:01 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Yes, thats them- thanks!

I planted them this evening. I'll probably put something around them to keep the roots from spreading. Nothing bugs me more than a plant that tries to take over a garden! frown They are pretty though.

#26577 June 7th, 2005 at 06:37 PM
A
A
I made the mistake of planting them in one of my beds and they quickly overtook the entire bed. It took me a while to finally get them all out. They should definitely be planted inside a root barrier or in an area where they can spread at will. They don't seem too particular about soil or sun, but seem to do better with more sun.

Link Copied to Clipboard