This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26542 June 5th, 2005 at 04:21 AM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
And everyone else! Ok, it's not all of them, but here's a couple.

Weezie, when is this lettuce ready to eat?
[Linked Image]

Look at how nice these potatoes are doing-
[Linked Image]

And these broccoli plants are getting HUGE, but no broccoli yet..
[Linked Image]

Meg

#26543 June 5th, 2005 at 04:29 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Pick it right now, for the lettuce...
Pick one leaf per plant,
the biggest one on the outside.........
(*I'll be right down with the vinegar and salt*) wink
And those are beautiful looking lettuce leaves
if I do say so myself!!! thumbup thumbup

#26544 June 5th, 2005 at 04:34 AM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
Cool, thanks! I forgot to add a photo here.. something is enjoying the heck outta my green bean leaves!!

[Linked Image]

shk Meg

#26545 June 5th, 2005 at 04:58 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
BEAN LEAF BEETLES!!!

#26546 June 5th, 2005 at 05:00 AM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
This means war! How do I deal with BEAN LEAF BEETLES!?

Meg

#26547 June 5th, 2005 at 05:10 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Meg,
Bean leaf beetle info.

Check out some pictures here...

#26548 June 5th, 2005 at 05:12 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
You know I'm organic with the kids and all

Here's some info from Garden\'s Alive

I've never had them, but I like that company..
*I know Ducki likes that place too*

#26549 June 5th, 2005 at 05:39 AM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
Yea, thank you weezie! I already have my pyola!! (After my pumpkin disaster last year, I stocked up early this spring with coupons from them!) LOL. I have pyola, oil away, soap shield, shield all II, and some fertilizers, and escar-go, and I *had* a light insect barrier, but we went away over memorial weekend, for 4 days, and when I got back, the weather had been so bad, that it ripped my barrier where I had it draped over my stakes. Oooops. Time to PYOLA them! Well, tomorrow, when I can see what I'm doing..lol.

Meg

#26550 June 5th, 2005 at 08:52 AM
LMT Offline
It's been a few years since I tried to grow broccoli. What I do remember is that the flowers grow quickly and the aphids devoured them nearly as fast. Maybe they had help, I'm not sure.

Anyway, on a longer term basis maybe provide plants loved by bugs which kill the veggie terrors.

beautiful plants for beneficial bugs

#26551 June 5th, 2005 at 02:21 PM
Hey Meg, if you bury the potato plants under some straw with bone and blood meal added, maybe a bit of sulphate of potash , compost, well rotted manures etc and just leave the tips of the potato poking out of the mulch, it put new roots out and you'll double your crop. Then when the shoots are high enough, do it all again and so on until you're at the top of the tub. You could get lots more spuds from that area.

#26552 June 5th, 2005 at 03:09 PM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info LMT & Longy. I enjoyed the read LMT, that was ummm.. "user friendly". It made sense. And guess what!? Yesterday, I was digging a section of my front yard to plant a couple of mini roses.. and when I sat down to bust up the clumps of grass, I saw buggies.. and I saw one kinda creepy, but thought, that looks familiar somehow.. seen it somewhere before, and I think it just may be a ladybeetle larvae. I left it go on it's merry way instead of screaming & squishing. I looked it up this morning, and yes, it was indeed my good guy bug baby! smile I planted a row of wildflower seeds kinda right next to my veggie bed. I wasn't planning on it that way.. just wanted them in front of my fence, since I don't like it much. Veggies are on the other side of the fence. Well, maybe that was dumb luck. I am soooo hoping that they all start flowering soon tho! So far, it's a LOT of green, with some tiny white alyssum throughout it.
[Linked Image]

Longy, I was going to be adding more compost/topsoil stuff to the taters, but didn't know when I should do it.. so, is now good? I'm just pleased that they actually grew!

Meg

#26553 June 6th, 2005 at 12:21 PM
I was going to be adding more compost/topsoil stuff to the taters, but didn't know when I should do it.. so, is now good?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Anytime's good. Just do it regular and don't completely bury the tips. They're gonna love it.

#26554 June 6th, 2005 at 12:33 PM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
Cool! Must get more stuff from Southern States this week.. laugh

Meg

Link Copied to Clipboard