This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26228 December 28th, 2005 at 11:30 PM
R
RumBum Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello, I have a question about my phal. It is doing very well. It has bloomed, I cut off the spike, then it bloomed again (yay!) Now I have new leaves growing out of the top of the stalk. They are healthy, happy green leaves but they are just way up there on the stalk (new leaf growth at about 12"). Should I leave them alone or should I cut the stalk below the new leaf growth? Duh The blooms have now fallen off, so we are between cycles.
Thank you for all your help!

#26229 December 29th, 2005 at 06:29 AM
G
G
So you mean orchid leaves are growing from the tip of the stalk...that sounds like a keiki, or a baby plant. That occasionally happens to phal spikes after the flowers drop off. Congrats! When it grows roots longer than your fingers you can cut the baby plant off and plant it as a new phal! Don't cut it before it has good roots/leaves: it'll die. I can't say in how long will the right time come, but keep the mother plant really happy.

Pics of phal keikis:
Phal Keikis Pictures

Search on the web for more info.

#26230 December 29th, 2005 at 11:42 PM
R
RumBum Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Wow! I am so excited! clp Actually there is a leaf set on each side of the plant so I guess I have 2 keikis! But there are no roots. After doing some internet research I have decided I think I need to add some moss and some root stimulator. Anyone have suggestions of a type of root stimulator that will be okay for this fragile baby?

Link Copied to Clipboard