This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26154 July 1st, 2005 at 02:15 AM
OP Offline
I have 2 geranium plants in side by side pots and on one the leaves are turning red and curling up. Any help? frown

#26155 July 2nd, 2005 at 08:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Joe,
How you been???

Are they identical in dirt?
Watering?

Any extra fertilizer get on the leaves..
Or too much fertilizer???

Does one have some thing that can conduct
heat more under one of the pots/container?

And what about sun, same for both...??

#26156 July 2nd, 2005 at 09:52 PM
OP Offline
Hey Weezie,

I've bin great. Busy, but great.
I haven't been around for a while since my computer crashed and I've spent much time trying to master this new one with XP.
Anyhow, my gardening woe's multiply.
This is my third year of trying to grow flowers and the worst one as well.
I apologize I do not know the proper name for these geraniums and can only tell that one is solid red and the other is what I think is called salmon. The red is the sick looking one, it's leaves almost entirely red and curled up like a dead leaf but not dead.They sit side by side,same size pots,same dirt,same sun,fertilizer,etc.
The weather!We have been having real unusual weather here (southern tip Lake Ontario), cold and rain replaced by scorching heat and humidity. My morning glories are not doing well compared to other years,my impatiens are a disappointment, my passion plants are anything but.
All in all,I am not a happy gardener.The past two years everything looked pretty good for an amateur but so far this year all I'm growing is old.
Any help with my geraniums welcome.

#26157 July 2nd, 2005 at 10:35 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi Joseph,

I don't know anything about geraniums. But I just had to respond to this comment

....so far this year all I'm growing is old.

That is so me.

Hope you have more time to visit in the future.

#26158 July 2nd, 2005 at 10:57 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Joe, don't forget, I'm just on the other side of that lake getting the same weather...
**but I am loving any and all of it, cause...
I'M NOT SHOVELING IT!!!!!
I'll take it any way GOD wants to give it to me!!!

okay, those geraniums....
Same everything huh???
So, we go to the next step...
Have you checked for any buggies in the red one?
ie; under the leaves, at the base of the stem,
etc... or any slimey~shiney trails on the leaves or top of the dirt?
Or any chance of repotting the red one?
ie; check that you didn't plant it too deep in the pot/container..(sometimes when they are planted too deep, they struggle..)repotting may bring it back up to the correct surface?????????
and check the color of the roots and health of the roots while you're repotting it...
if they are white and healthy, that's not your problem, if they're brownish, or appear soggy..
that could be the culprit..check the drainage in that pot too, could be so it can't drain fast and holds water longer Duh

Are they the same style pot or different???
ie; Clay vs Plastic???

And never give up on gardening, always look at it as a learning experiment, which makes gardening sooooooooooo much fun......
on some summers that are like this, if sometimes cooler, I will set my plants on top of bricks to heat them up, to give them just a wee~bit of more heat that they like, of if it's too windy,
I will find something to shelter them, the next year...always trying to find a better or easier or maybe even cheaper way of doing things....
I love to experiment...
***Keeps me from really giving up gardening all together wink laugh laugh ***

If you want to, start each a new thread about each of your plants that aren't doing well, and
we'll see if we can get to the bottom of those plants worries too!!! After all, we're just starting summer, and there's still lot's of time to garden!!!!!!!!! thumbup

#26159 July 3rd, 2005 at 02:49 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the encouragement Weezie.
I've thoroughly checked and see no sign of any "buggies". The plants are in identical plastic pots.
Replanting sounds like a good idea and I will get that done in the next couple of days and let you know.

#26160 July 13th, 2005 at 07:01 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Joe,
How's your Geranium's doing????
Perkin' up a bit since the move????

#26161 July 13th, 2005 at 07:04 PM
OP Offline
I didn't think it possible but the repotting worked. My "ill" geranium is now breaking out in new buds (still looks a bit scrawny but buds are good). My other plants have also rebounded after I increased watering to counteract the hot, humid weather we've been having here.
So, thanks to all. I am now a happy gardener again. kissies kissies

#26162 July 13th, 2005 at 07:12 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Well, that is GREAT NEWS!!!!

I am now a happy gardener again.

That's music to our hears here!!!!!
Thanks for letting us know!!

thumbup thumbup

#26163 July 14th, 2005 at 07:38 PM
My hanging geranium is in the same shape, it looks like it would come september. It's still blooming but the leaves are waxy and red. This is the first day for rain in almost 3 weeks.

The weather has been so crappy, nothing is growing well.

#26164 July 15th, 2005 at 09:32 PM
OP Offline
We seem to be having the same weather problems,Tamara. I found that my plants started a comeback after I began watering every other day. Now I have sick impatiens to worry about (will start a new post for that).Happy gardening,this "crappy" weather can't stop us.

#26165 July 16th, 2005 at 06:24 PM
Maybe it's the kind of geranium that has red leaves - somebody gave me one and it had sort of brownish red leaves - it died immediately, so I dunno' what was going on there.

I haven't removed it from the pot yet - just cut it back and stuck it by the fence where my neighbour's sprinkler is watering it.

(All this time and I finally catch on about the neighbour's sprinkler - those fence spots are great places to stick things that could do with some intense spritzing)

#26166 July 16th, 2005 at 07:55 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Joe,
Did you start your new thread on your
sick impatients yet????

Link Copied to Clipboard