This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23811 December 19th, 2004 at 08:41 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Since I have been under the weather lately I have neglected some of my plants...went out to take a peak and my Kalanchoe thrysifolia (flapjack) which was in partial shade and it has developed a whitish powdery YUCK on the main stem and on some of the pads....I can rub it off with my finger but it is all over the plant. eek
What is it and how do I get rid of the coating???
Thinking something like powdery mildew but I could be totally wrong!???? Duh
If I moved it slowly to full sun would the plant be better off? I could plant in the ground but it would be full sun near a retaining wall!????
HELP!!!! kit

#23812 December 20th, 2004 at 02:14 AM
http://www.select-seeds.com/PhotoGallery/Kalanchoe.htm
G'day feline fancier,
I reckon it is a fungal disease like powdery mildew and a move to full sun would do it the world of good. Is the spot it's in a bit moist? It could also be mealy bug i guess. Have a close look and see if they are individual critters all bunched together or just a powdery coating. The above site is suggesting excellent drainage and full sun. succulents generally like the type of hotspot you're suggesting. You could make a droughtproof succulent bed there. I love succulents. They are perfect for aussie gardens.

#23813 December 23rd, 2004 at 06:35 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Longy...thank you for the info.
Since I have been under the weather my daughter top watered all my plants and we were in a wet period for awhile ...and then all the fog in the mornings....and the shifting of where the sun hits in the morning etc. is probably what started the powdery mildew.
It is definitely not mealy bugs but rather the fungus....so I washed him off the best I could and I am moving him out slowly to acclimate to the sun and then transfer to the ground shortly.
Thanks again, Catlover

Link Copied to Clipboard