This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22489 December 16th, 2004 at 06:38 AM
J
Jet Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well this will be my first, hopefully many more, posts on this forum. I just moved to Soquel, California from Boston Massachusetts and I’m blown away. It’s amazingly beautiful here!! I swear Capitola beach town could make you swear it was a small town in Italy. I now feel inspired to make my life better. I’ve signed up for a year membership at the gym to better myself physically. I rid myself of stress by taking Brazilian Jujitsu but I need some way of bettering my spirit.

My father and I are very similar and I noticed growing up that he would always garden. I know that farming is good ole honest work and there’s nothing like getting your hands dirty. I am currently renting a house where the landlord gave us permission to dabble with the yard. I think it’s time I take her up on that offer. My problem now: I know what I want to do, but have no clue what plants would be the perfect choice for my needs.

Before I came to this forum and I visited a few well illustrated websites to give me an idea of what I was looking for. We have a large patio available to us that is shady over by a huge walnut tree but gets about 75% light. On one side our next door neighbor is pretty close so I’d like to put up some redwood lattice. On the lattice I would really like to have some vines, preferably two, a spring bloomer and a Summer bloomer. The yard has about five 6’ rose bushes but the yard is poorly maintained and I think the tree is overcastting them.

I’m also going to build myself a bamboo fountain much like this website shows: http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/bamboofountain.htm. Around it I would like to grow a fragrant vine that will climb horizontally across the railing support. I would really prefer it to be a fast grower but I’ll take a sacrifice. I know this is a lot to ask help on but I would very much appreciate it. There is too much beauty around me for me not to create my own.

#22490 December 17th, 2004 at 10:56 AM
passion flower vine is 1 choice.there are a lot of vine to chose from out there.morning glory or humming bird vine.also moon flower vine might do well for you.hysenth bean vine to of difrent colors.also clemites vine.i am sure there a lot more out there to chose from.do a search on blooing vines.sure you will find something to fit your needs.your friend in gardening mike57.

#22491 December 17th, 2004 at 05:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Jet wavey Welcome to the foum!

Heres a spot dedicated to California Gardening. they ask specific questions regarding area,sunlight,etc to pinpoint plants that grow well in your area.

http://www.mynativeplants.com/optionsa.html

G-Mom grinnnn

Link Copied to Clipboard