This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22403 March 27th, 2004 at 10:16 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
So this question is more from my mom than me....although I'm sure I'll be involved with the cure. laugh My parent's entire back yard (which is really only like 200 sq. ft.) has no grass what so ever. Their last dog had very acidic urine and just fried the grass for the 5 or 6 years. They want to know how to test the Ph level of the dirt now..where to buy the test and what exactly they need (cost would probably be a good thing for them to know also). What is the best way to go about digging the dirt up, what is a good type of dirt to put down (meaning what kind of soil or mixture of whatever), and maybe what kind of grass to plant. They have pretty much made it clear that they don't want to put sod down (although I think it would be a good thing to do). They don't have the dog anymore, so acidic urine is not really a problem now. eek So there's the question...and help would be GREATLY appreciated. thumbup

#22404 March 28th, 2004 at 02:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Jenn, There are probably members that are more "IN" to their lawns than I am, but the approach I would use is: You can get the lil BAG from your county extension to have your soil tested, small charge, you can get a relitively inexpensive test kit at most garden supply stores, Or you can assume that there IS a problem, depends on what you want to do.Lawns are not as picky as one would lead you to believe when it comes to PH. Personally I would go out and cultivate to about 4" deep, remove any growth that there is, add a 1-2" layer of sifted compost, peat moss, and composted manure, work it in well with a rake or tiller, rake smooth, use a roller to evenly compact the soil and plant your seed. The kind of seed you use depends on the area to be planted, sow your seed evenly (a hand spreader?) or if you are a "SOWER" laugh go at it by hand. Compact the seed again for good soil/seed contact, and keep it constantly moist(not drenched) for 2 weeks. Wait to mow at least 3 weeks after seeding, removing the top third of the new growth. My dog gets LOCK-UP during the growing season, due to his desire to play MOLE, the area he soils is always in need of repair, The ammendments above should negate any risidual urine. Duh grinnnn

#22405 March 30th, 2004 at 12:31 AM
I always send my soil samples to A&L labs, out of pompano beach FL. They will give you directions on how to test. I don't trust home kits to much unless you are using a pH meter. Remember with that you have to use Deionized water and let soil slurry sit for about 24 hours before taking reading.

#22406 March 31st, 2004 at 01:56 PM
B
B
Jennifer, give your local local county home extension service a call and ask them to send you a soil kit.. Buying the kits at your local garden suppy store will NOT give you accurate readings nor delve in depth as to what is missing in your soil.. They will also tell you not just what the ph is but also what the minerals, etc are and what to do to improve the yard... crit

#22407 March 31st, 2004 at 02:00 PM
B
B
oops.. I meant to leave you this link!

http://hortweb.cas.psu.edu/ohortex/contact_list.html

shocked

#22408 April 1st, 2004 at 04:49 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
thank you soo much barbi. i will pass that info on to my parents. the dog they have now goes to the bathroom on the patio. they don't let him in the lawn because he is a digger and makes a horrible mess. the other dog killed two lawns with her acidity...it was really bad! Anyways....thanks to everyone who helped out. thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard