This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21976 January 11th, 2004 at 07:13 PM
OP Offline
Hi everyone, rank newbie here... I've got a modest - but well loved - collection of house plants that I've been growing under fluorescent lighting. So far all of them seem to be doing quite well, but this morning I noticed something new to me with my rubber plant.

The plant itself is small, about 8 inches tall, set in a 6 inches clay pot, and it's been growing vigorously and shooting out new leaves from everywhere. I noticed a few new growths on it today, what I took at first to be young leaves, very slender, pale green worm shaped growths. A few of them had fallen so I examined them closely; they are NOT worms, despite their shape <g> but apart from that I'm pretty much at a loss.

I took a picture of it, and while I've got no web site where I could put it, I'll gladly e-mail it to anyone interested ( It's a very small .jpeg ) This is my first rubber plant and I'd hate to lose it !

Thanks to all you great people !

Canadian CrabGrass

#21977 January 11th, 2004 at 09:13 PM
Hello Canadian Crabgrass wavey
I don't have any answers for you but I just couldn't resist saying hello to a fellow Canadian! Someone will get back to you soon I'm sure these guys are great around here! wavey

#21978 January 12th, 2004 at 02:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Crabby,

You can e-mail a photo to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

Include a photo of the plant itself.

#21979 January 12th, 2004 at 03:05 AM
OP Offline
Hi Will,

I just sent an e-mail to you that includes the picture. Please feel free to post it on the board if you think it would be useful, and thank you so very much for your help.

And hello to you Sherri ! I'm very happy to have found this board and I'm looking forward to plenty of chats with people who love growing things. Shame that the weather in Canada right now isn't the best for plants...

Thanks for the welcome !

#21980 January 12th, 2004 at 03:36 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey Hello Canadian CrabGrass wavey
I just love your name, very cute!!!
I just wanted to Welcome you to The Garden Helpers Forum....We have a great bunch of gardeners here from Master Gardeners to brand new gardeners and everything in between......
I know you'll fit in here nicely!!!
We have alot of Canadian members here, so bring up a chair and start chattin' to them, there's our own hostess flower, Sherri that already said hi to you, JAKE, Tamara, Lilyfreak, Lizheaemma, Limey, Wally, TheCanadian_Duggler, a bunch, all great nice folks, hope you'll stick around, and join the fun, we have all sorts of sections, recipes, crafts and hobbies, games, banter hall for chatting, join the group, add your voice to the growing numbers here!!!
We also have alot of members that love their houseplants too, Jiffy and Loz (more forum hostess), Thre's Will that answered you already, Barleychown, lizheaemma, boxmonkey, TomR, oh, a whole bunch there too,
Welcome aboard!!

Weezie

Weezie

#21981 January 12th, 2004 at 05:13 AM
OP Offline
Update on the rubber plant...

Thanks to Will's very kind help, it turns out that what I have isn't a rubber plant at all but a specie of peperomia, and those strange growth are the flower spikes !

Needless to say I do feel a bit of a fool for being so wrong ( Hey, the pot did say rubber plant! ) but also very relieved that nothing is wrong with it. And also amazed that I didn't kill the poor thing by mistake !

Thanks a million for the help, Will !

#21982 January 12th, 2004 at 04:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wavey hey crabgrass wavey sorry i am late with my welcome. I am a little on the slow side these days, but wanted to welcome you. enjoy your time here, ask away, we need all the info we can get, and if you are asking, someone is answering and we all are learning! glad will could help you out thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard