This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2034 June 3rd, 2005 at 05:24 PM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
The Pileated Woodpecker is the largest woodpecker found in North America. Mature adults are 14-16 inches in length. They are primarily found in forested areas of the southern Canadian Provinces, and in the US western states, eastern states, and along the Gulf coast.

The Pileated Woodpecker's diet consists of insects, fruit and nuts. They use their sharp bill to probe beneath the bark of trees in search of ant colonies which they extract using their long sticky tongue. They also use their bills to drum on hollow trees to claim their territory, and to excavate large holes in trees for nesting and roosting.

The female lays four eggs after which both parents tend to them until they hatch in about 16 days.

Pileated Woodpeckers spend most of their time in the trees, but on occasion they can be seen hopping around on the ground in search of carpenter ants and other tasty tidbits!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grinnnn [Linked Image] This is a Cedar Hill bird!

Wow - great pictures, Bill!!!

We had a pair of woody woodpeckers like that in our yard, a few years back, for a fleeting moment - it was sooooo exciting!

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hey Bill, is that one confused. It looks like it's hugging your "aluminum"(?) ladder. It's probably just my bad eye sight playing tricks on my again. But it makes for an amusing picture lol. Thanks for sharing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cool Shots,Bill!

We have them in our area and I see them all the time. They are big,beautiful birds.

Did you hear the news about their close cousin,the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker.
[Linked Image]
Thought to be extinct since 1944.
Rediscovery of extinct Woodpecker

G-Mom grinnnn

#2038 October 8th, 2005 at 12:11 AM
B
B
For more information on the Pileated Woodpecker, visit "Pileated Woodpecker Central" - http://www.pileatedwoodpeckercentral.com.

#2039 October 8th, 2005 at 01:53 AM
Awesome pictures, Bill!! thumbup

I love those Pileated woodpeckers, one afternoon three of them came to a tree in my front yard and went 'round and 'round that tree for like a 1/2 hour playing or something. It was so delightful watching them.

Link Copied to Clipboard