This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#20063 January 17th, 2004 at 02:48 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Ok, Jiffy
Here's URL for the place she sent her deerskin's to... I clicked on it, and it gives you the front page of the site, but you click on anything and says page can not be found!!!!
But you may be able to write them, they've been there for a long time.>>??<<

Berlin, Wisconsin

Mother said she believes there's still a process that you have to do to it.. and she thinks the hair might fall out, but hey, we just got the skins, so I'm not sure!!

Write 'em or call 'em!!
Weezie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERLIN GLOVE COMPANY, LTD.
150 W. Franklin
P.O. Box 230
Berlin,WI 54923
Phone: 920-361-5050/1-800-237-3367
Fax: 920-361-5055
Email: berlingloveco@vbe.com Retail Store selling deerskin gloves, garments, footwear, purses, accessories, sheepskin coats, cycle gear, and large gift section.

I'm not sure if they still take the skins, by
reading it, there's nothing there that says they take the skins from people.?????????????

#20064 January 17th, 2004 at 02:57 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Jiffy,
Here's another one,
this one seems more like it,
it says something about making stuff
with your items???

Russell Moccasin

#20065 January 17th, 2004 at 03:53 PM
OP Offline
Jiffy,
Wezzie is correct.. there are alot of places you can send hide to. But we do it ourself. It is time comsuming. We leave the hair on ours actually. That way if you use a beaver hide say, you can leave the hair on and make a hat out of it. First, skin out your hide. we do the stomach cut and pull it off where you have no cuts to repair later. I have a fleshing board that we tack them onto. This is made out of a cheese board.. (A waxed board) We rub just plain salt with out iodine onto the hide.. Let it set for 48 hours. Scrape the flesh off the hide best you can. Then rub more on it... Do this until all the flesh is off. Usually takes 2 weeks if it is a beaver or coon. Then bring it into the house and with a mild dish soap (not dawn) wash the skin throughly. Usually twice... hang on the line to dry. Then there is a solution that can be purchased on line from Tandy leather.. You mix it up and soak it in a container with a lid. The amount of time depends on the hide. Directions on on the bottle. After you do this... wash it again with dish soap and line dry. To keep the hair on it and make the skin soft.... you will rub it down with oil. working it into the skin.. Stretching and pulling it as well because it will shrink in this process some. The oil will keep the hair in and soften it where you can work it. It is a long process. That is why most people send them off. But it is worth it! There are many ways to do it. In fact you can get complete tanning kits from Tandy...

#20066 January 17th, 2004 at 04:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that is so awesome! I am going to send this page to my son (and let him know that he has my support) to let him try it. I think he would want to do it. do you have to buy the tanning solution or is there a recipe to make it up?

#20067 January 17th, 2004 at 08:34 PM
OP Offline
Jiffy,
You can purchase the kit that has every thing in it that you will need. But alot of them have Lye in them. This is to REMOVE hair on the hide. So he would not want that if he wants to keep the hair. I have a racoon hide that I kept the hair on and it sits across cedar chest in my living room. And believe it or not... I have some opossoum hides with the hair on them. No one believes how soft they came out. In fact we made my step daughter a purse out of leather and put opossoum on the flap to close it with. Left the ears and nose on it as well. Them put fringe on the bottom of it and a braided strap. Looked sharp.** I know it sounds awlful** but there are home made mixures out there. Alot of native american books have them in it.. Or the Foxfire series of books are awsome!
Being part of my heritage, I find it important to keep things going for my boys sake. Hope I helped some. wink

#20068 January 18th, 2004 at 02:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you know, i didn't even think about the foxfire books for reference. we are part creek (that and english are what we have the most of on my side) and my son is very proud of his heritage, that i why i asked about doing it himself instead of buying a kit. i have emailed him this page, and hopefully he will join so he can talk to you about it! thanks for the help!

#20069 January 18th, 2004 at 04:17 PM
P
P

#20070 January 19th, 2004 at 02:57 AM
OP Offline
Thanks papito,
that is a very good site! There are alot of them out there... And many ways to do it. And time comsuming

#20071 January 27th, 2004 at 06:10 PM
K
K
Hi! I too have trouble with erosion at the back of our house. We have a walkout basement and the slope erodes into the patio area. What can I do to make this area attractive and stop the erosion? I have red, rocky soil in this area and live in zone 6b - East Tennessee and I'm new to this area, use to live in Iowa, with dark brown soil, hardly any rocks. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

#20072 February 2nd, 2004 at 01:58 AM
R
R
Does the driveway go stright up the hill? If so having the drive go diagonally up the hill will help a little with erosion. If you can change where the driveway is.

I have a hill in my woods that was eroding. I changed the path from going straight to switchbacks. It has made all the difference.

#20073 February 2nd, 2004 at 02:00 AM
R
R
Kalidoscope, A stone or railroad retaining wall would be neat, especially if it was planted.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard