This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19465 March 8th, 2004 at 01:36 AM
OP Offline
Hi Everyone.... wavey I have read twice in the paper about new products this yr. that will control pests underground like grubs and above ground like aphids...
Does anyone know the name of these products and where i could find them? It sure would be nice to have a product to kill both.
Thanks for the help! thumbup
Greg angell gab wink

#19466 March 14th, 2004 at 11:51 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Bringing this one back up to the
top for Greg!!!!!

Anyone??

#19467 March 21st, 2004 at 05:33 AM
Many times if you read the active ingredients on products they are the same just being sold under different product name. Case in point Bayer Advanced Garden™ tree & Shrub Insect Control Concentrate, the active ingredient is Imidacloprid and it does control many pest insects above ground. Bayer Advanced Lawn® Season-Long Grub Control Ready-to-Spread Granules active ingredient is also Imidacloprid. So you can see that 2 different products with same active that control a wide spectrum of insects but being labeled differently. You see this too with the synthetic pythroids.

Also for grub control you already missed the application time. Grub treatment needs to applied in the fall, around September for the best control. Personally beneficial nematodes are my favorite for grub management. Also if you have more then 1/2 inches of thatch insecticide treatment is useless.

If you let me know what specific problems you are having I might be able to help point you in the right direction.

#19468 April 1st, 2004 at 04:34 AM
OP Offline
Hi..
We get brown patches on our lawn during the summer and also we have borers that get into our hybrid iris. I heard that a 10 to 1 ratio of Murphys Oil Soap is a good treatment to use.
Greg gab

#19469 April 1st, 2004 at 07:15 PM
I would be very careful from possible phototoxicity problems with non hotricultual soaps. There have been studies done showing reduces tomato production by using non insecticidal soap on them. Also I spoke with a man that had been using Pine-sol to control insect problems. After time his wife developed horrible allergies to pine.

As far as brown spots in your lawn you need to diagnose what the problem is first.

For iris borer I would give beneficial nematodes a shot. They have worked well for me on other subterranean borer species.

What state are you in? zone?

#19470 April 2nd, 2004 at 02:01 AM
OP Offline
Hi...Im in IL..zone 5...So the soap solution wouldn't be a good idea? Duh
We were trying to find a less $$ solution to fix our iris borer problem... frown
He have dug up the section of grass with the spots and found grubs in it....So far we have been using Grub Ex. I wonder if Bayers Grub Control is better? Duh
Thanks for the help.
Greg angell gab

#19471 April 2nd, 2004 at 04:10 AM
You said that you are trying find a less expensive solution to iris borers then nematodes.. what pricing are you looking at for treatment?

#19472 April 2nd, 2004 at 04:57 AM
OP Offline
$30-$40 I have a feeling its probably best for the $$ range to stick to Grub Ex or the Bayer Grub Solution..or an organic solution that we can make at home...Is there anything out there besides these products?
Maybe i will check around the gardening sites for some alternative control solutions.. gab

Link Copied to Clipboard