This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#19353 March 8th, 2004 at 06:07 PM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally posted by SunnyP:
Hi,

I'm in TX and my roses love to get a little water everyday and to be fed at least twice a month.

I rooted cuttings this winter by placing them in a tub with potting soil in it and placing Mason jars over them. They collect warmth from the sun and also keep moisture that way. I rooted about 25 of them (different varieties) and they are doing beautifully! (This was the way my grandmother and her mother and grandmother rooted roses.)

Hope this helps someone.

SunnyP
Hi, Sunny! Thanks for the info! Do you have to wait until winter, or can I start them this spring/summer when the new growth starts?

I've been so wanting to get a few cuttings of my dad's beloved roses so that I have them for posterity. I'd be able to make a few cuttings for my sister too!

Barb

#19354 March 8th, 2004 at 06:18 PM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally posted by shamarian:
Barb, was so excited about looking into the Memorial rose but found it was for zone 5 and up, I'm in zone 4 eek If anyone knows of superior smelling roses for zone 4, let me know.Thanks anyway Barb wink
Shamarian,

Have I got some roses for you friend! flw flw

I just got the David Austen rose catalog...oh, my, MY OH MY OH MY!!! What a treat it has been leafing through this! Go online and order the catalog! And, you can go to their website and check out the flowers.

Here goes.....English roses for cold areas/zone 4

Shropshire Lad
Cottage rose
Golden Celebration
Abraham Darby
Graham Thomas
L.D. Braithwaite
etc, etc.

Check 'em out....you'll be glad you did. I am in LOVE with these English David Austen roses....they look wonderful!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard