This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17823 December 8th, 2004 at 10:46 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi
Just wondering if anyone here knows anything about transplanting palms. Nikau palms are a native here in New Zealand, but are pretty similar to regular palms. I have just moved into a new home, and there is a young palm planted only a foot from the house (possibly planted by somebody thinking it was just a small ground cover fern). They grow quite big (think a bit smaller than phoenix palm size), so it has to be moved, but i have heard that they have really fragile root structures/can't handle being moved. I would LOVE it if i could move it and keep it; a sapling this size would cost about $300, and they are really nice trees.....Any ideas/tips would (wood!) be much appreciated...i have never moved a tree at all so I know nothing in this field.

#17824 December 8th, 2004 at 11:35 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I forgot to say that we are just coming out of spring at the moment - not into hot hot dry summer yet, when the grass crumbles; still lots of rain but the temperatures are beginning to get up there... there are a few new fronds on the palm. What time of year is best for moving trees?

#17825 December 11th, 2004 at 04:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, i only know a little about palms, and am not sure exactly what kind of palm you are talking about... but...

when any plant needs moved, the best way is to disturb the root system as little as possible.

if the palm is like most, the roots will be slightly smaller in diameter than the drip line of the tree, IF that big. what i would do, is dig around the drip line (the fartherest edge of the fronds) and try to "scoop" the tree. now, this sounds like a problem, but, if you do one side, then put down a sheet/tarp/blanket, and then start on the other side, it can be tilted over onto the blanket with the dirt still in place around the roots (so as not to disturb them). then, using the blanket, you can lift or drag the tree to its new, prefered home.

now that the mechanics are there, the best time to move a tree is when it is about to go dormant (up top) so that the roots can develope. for you, that will either be now, when the moisture is about to "dry up" forcing the roots to spread farther looking for water, or, at the end of your summer, before it starts to get cold.

the advantage to moving it now is that it won't get any bigger before you move it, and you can monitor its progress and give it extra drinks if need be. good luck and let us know how you make out!

#17826 December 12th, 2004 at 10:02 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks!
That is a big help - i had no idea of how to even start....the tree isn't tooooo big; so it shouldn't be a major operation. I hope!! :rolleyes:

#17827 December 13th, 2004 at 02:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, if it isn't so big... (less than 3' or 1m) then you should be able to do it with very little problem! let me know how it goes!!

#17828 December 13th, 2004 at 05:16 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Will do!
Was going to haev a go tonight after work but have just cut the top off my thumb.. thumbup ....so might wait til the weekend!!
Cheers.

Link Copied to Clipboard