This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17805 December 17th, 2004 at 02:26 AM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
My neighbor asked my advice about his new landscaping.He is putting in pavers around his trees,about 2 feet high.He wants to fill in that space with soil.I'm thinking that is a bad idea for trees.
Wouldn't that cause bad drainage for the tree.
The trees are oaks.

Can anyone help?

#17806 December 17th, 2004 at 11:07 AM
if he puts dirt around his trees it might kill them.he would need to leave a open space between the tree and the dirt. i use flat field stone around mine.he could do that then put his pavers around in a circle then fill it up. this would make a great raised flower bed.if the trees are large it would not afect the drainage as the roots spred out a long ways. thats just my opinion.hope this helps.your friend in garding mike57

#17807 December 17th, 2004 at 03:04 PM
I read somewhere too that it could cause insects to get into your trees easier too

#17808 December 17th, 2004 at 04:53 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
The bark that is above the ground differs then the bark which covers the roots on a tree. The bark below the ground is water proof, where the bark above the ground is not. Anything laying up against the tree be it mulch, leaves, wood chips, or soil and if it remains wet, will wind up killing the tree, by rotting the outer bark away and exposing the cambrium, (sp?) (hey it is early in the am and I am still on my 1st cup of coffee), layer.
A very common mistake made when planting trees is to plant them too deep. This is basically doing the same thing.

Mike

#17809 December 18th, 2004 at 02:16 AM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
luv luv luv Thanks very much.That's a lot of help.

It makes sense too.

Another question,if you don't mind.
When pruning tree limbs.I was told you must put some sealeant(sp)on the cut.
But I think I read somewhere that is not needed.
And might even be a bad thing to do.

duckie

#17810 December 18th, 2004 at 02:24 AM
When pruning tree limbs.I was told you must put some sealeant(sp)on the cut.
But I think I read somewhere that is not needed.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==
I think the new school of thought on this is that Sealant can stop the tree from healing by holding in problems such as fungus and preventing the wound from drying out. More important is cutting the limb off in the correct place with clean sharp tools.

#17811 December 19th, 2004 at 12:07 AM
C
C
I was wanting to put a raised flower bed around a very large pecan tree in my front yard. I found the following from the FAQ page of Oklahoma Gardening

"Question #2: My husband wants to build a flower bed around a river birch, with 3 branches, that is 8 years old. What precautions should we take when building the bed to keep from doing any damage to the tree. The bed will be 14 inches deep. This tree has a lot of sentimental value tome and I don't want to lose it. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Answer: I would strongly recommend against building any bed under an existing tree like that, especially if there is sentimental value. Drastic grade changes such as the one you are proposing are often detrimental to a tree. Roots growing near the surface are responsible for oxygen uptake. By burying them 14 inches you are basically suffocating the roots which often results in death. For further information refer to our fact sheet F-6429 - Site Disturbance and tree Decline. A copy can be obtained from your county extension office or by going on-line at http://agweb.okstate.edu/pearl/hort/ornamental/index.html"

It made me change my mind.

Copperdog

#17812 December 19th, 2004 at 04:46 AM
duckie Offline OP
OP Offline
wavey Welcome copperdog,

And thanks for the info.That was really interesting.I love this site.Someone always helps me out.And I learn something new.

I used to live in ok. too.You are sooo lucky to have that pecan tree.I remember, just driving down a country road,you could pick up enough to last you all year.They freeze really well,If ya don't know.

Pecans here cost about 6 dollars a pound. flw duckie

Link Copied to Clipboard