This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17631 October 14th, 2004 at 10:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have lemon balm and catnip planted in pots outdoors. The past month the leaves have been yellowing on both plants. Are these herbs that die down for the winter? My neighbor's lemon balm is still green and healthy looking and we haven't had a killing frost yet.

#17632 October 15th, 2004 at 11:45 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey Hi Cricket,
I think maybe cause your plants are in pots...
That might be why they're turning before your neighbors...
Usually they'll have a small root system in a pot, are usually dryer, cause they can't send a tap or water roots down or out because of the pot.
And maybe like the plants being in the pot, and the pots' tempeture is like the airs temp. cause I think it takes it on...
Where as the roots in the dirt are still the temps of the dirt and maybe a bit warmer and happier..

Those factors could tell your plants they just need to go to sleep for the winter faster????

Weezie
Duh thumbup

#17633 October 21st, 2004 at 07:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks, Weezie. Do I understand from your email that both lemon balm and catnip will die down for the winter? I was hoping they might be like parsley, staying green all winter. I'm in zone 8.

#17634 October 21st, 2004 at 03:20 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Cricket,
They may very well do that for you in your zone 8,
I usually assume your are in a "frozen" area when we hear Canada!!
I am not completely firmilar with that zone...

I am hoping another gardener, alot more firmilar with that zone would come thru and give you an ans.

Have you had the plants for awhile of is this the first year with those plants???

Weezie

#17635 October 22nd, 2004 at 05:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks, Weezie...this is my first year with these plants so I really don't know what to expect of them.

#17636 October 23rd, 2004 at 09:17 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Cricket,
From my own Lemon Balm here at home and
anything I ever read about it, is that
that particular plant is VERY HARDY,
and re~seeds it's self almost to the point
of being a "weed" sometimes...
So, I don't think I'd worry tooooooo much over that one.... and watch around the plant for babies.
The Catnip is also a hardy type plant, and re~seeds prolifically as well..
but watch the richness of the soil, it likes a bit more "plain dirt" and with rocks...than the richer more nutrient filled type dirts.

My mother had that it grew well on the sides a gravel driveway.

Weezie

#17637 October 28th, 2004 at 09:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks, Weezie,

I cut both plants back nearly to the soil and they are growing back with healthy-looking green leaves, so maybe somthing benign caused the initial yellowing? If they are ill plants, would it be harmful to makes teas and cook with them?

#17638 October 28th, 2004 at 09:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Assuming of course that they look healthy enough for me to even think of ingesting them!

#17639 November 15th, 2004 at 08:18 PM
Both my Lemon Balm and Catnip die down for winter , I dont prune mine until spring because the dead leaves help protect the plant for insulation. As soon as I see any green under the dead leaves, I prune to about 3 " tall to allow for the new growth.

Link Copied to Clipboard