This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17612 July 14th, 2004 at 02:08 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi--This is my first post! I've always loved my rudbeckia--they are so bright, hardy, and long, long lasting. I have a lot squeezed in here and there. This year, a bunch of stalks are withering away--the leaves are turning grey and the heads are drooping, some even before they bloom all the way. This is happening alongside others that are going gangbusters. It's a mystery to me--I don't see any pests, and it's been plenty moist. Anyone else with the same problem?? Also, do columbine do dormant? I had mine in partial shade, it bloomed great, then dried up and disappeared. It's new this year. I hope I didn't kill it!

#17613 July 14th, 2004 at 08:14 AM
Hi naturegirl,
I replied to your PM with some help for the rudbeckia question. I looked up columbine and this is what I found.

They tend to go somewhat dormant during the hot summer months, after blooming. May also loose most or all of their leaves for awhile. After they bloom and the seeds drop, people customarily cut to them to the ground just above the crown from which the foliage emerges. It causes the plants to generate new lower-growing foliage for the summer.
They need rich, well drained soil and like light to moderate shade.
They are short lived perennials, and often decline and die after about 3 yrs.
Look at the base of your plant for life.
They reseed easily.
Hope this helps. thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard