This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#169530 January 28th, 2007 at 07:53 PM
I hope you get a call!!!

#169531 January 29th, 2007 at 07:20 PM
OP Offline
Triss - I am going to the store after Amy's flute lesson - in an hour probably - to take some pictures. The manager said that he called Hospice, but they haven't come to pick up the blankets yet - I hope I beat them to it!

He also said that they would be meeting again on Feb. 24th.

#169532 January 29th, 2007 at 08:03 PM
I hope you beat the pick up. Will be cool to see the finished blanket.

Another get together is great too!

#169533 January 29th, 2007 at 10:40 PM
OP Offline
Well... I was a bit disappointed to see that "our" blanket was not finished. And apparently the other woman sewed the pieces the wide way, where as I had made the first 2 rows the long way. Oh, well... hopefully it will get finished at the next meeting.

[Linked Image]

Here are the other 2 blankets that were finished - neither one is the WUA requested size though. I'm actually surprised that Karen is going to meet again, as it seems like she's not all that into it... I didn't even see the one she was working on, that was all the boucle pieces we all had knit? Unless she took it home to work on...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll go to the next meeting and see what's going on - might have to look for another group to knit for.

#169534 January 29th, 2007 at 11:14 PM
That is really odd that she sewed them differently. What is with that? I sure hope you can find a good group Lynne, I know you would have so much fun!

It is really cool seeing them all together!

#169535 February 26th, 2007 at 06:15 PM
OP Offline
I went back to the group at ACMoore this past Saturday. I got there a little late, and only 5 of the "regulars" were there this time. Two were sewing the pieces together still for more blankets, and the rest had started on making scarves for Hospice. Since I really did not enjoy the sewing the last time I was there, I decided to do a scarf. The only yarn they had to give me was that awful boucle that I had trouble making rectangles with, so I asked the dept. manager if I could use some other yarn that wouldn't be so hard on my hands. He told me to pick any of the Red Heart that were on sale, so I chose this turqouise and magenta variegated, since those are my favorite colors.

We were there for 4 hours, but didn't finish even half of a scarf, so we were allowed to take the materials home. I finished mine last night. This was the hardest color scheme to get a clear picture of, and this was the best I could do this morning.

[Linked Image]

They ordered in pizza for us again, and also gave each of us a pair of Red Heart size 17 lightweight plastic needles to keep. I have no idea what I'll use such large needles for, but it was nice of them just the same.

I also have 3 skeins of Bernat BOA yarn from them, to make another scarf - they have to be back to the store by this weekend for pick-up.

#169536 February 26th, 2007 at 08:02 PM
Very nice Lynne! Love those colors. How long is it?

#169537 February 26th, 2007 at 08:11 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Triss

It's 48 inches long - exactly 1 skein of yarn, 30 stitches on size 11 needles.

#169538 February 26th, 2007 at 08:14 PM
That is a nice size too! Thanks for the info!

#169539 February 28th, 2007 at 11:48 PM
OP Offline
Two days later and another scarf done.
This was pretty fast - bernat boa yarn, in "doo doo bird" color. laugh Duh nutz (like that name???) The areas that look brown here in the picture are actually purple!

I did 18 stitches on size 13 needles.

[Linked Image]

It's very soft and fluffy, but in my opinion not the yarn that should be used for someone in Hospice. I think it's too fussy, PLUS, it's HAND WASH only!!! I really think the department manager in ACMoore needs a dose of reality - this is the second time he gave us some yarn that is not practical for a place like that. I think I'm going to say something when I bring the scarves in tomorrow - I have to give them directly to him anyway.

I have a full skein and part of one leftover. I'm going to keep them for myself - they are not keeping track of what goes out anyway, and it's a perfect match for the yarn that I ripped out from the ripple blanket recently. Maybe the manager will give me some better yarn tomorrow and I can make at least one more before they are picked up next Monday.

#169540 March 1st, 2007 at 05:05 AM
Ohhh that one is pretty. Was it easy to work with?

#169541 March 1st, 2007 at 07:40 AM
Nice job, Lynne! I think the second one is pretty cool, but as you said, not very practical for Hospice folks. It sounds like the department manager needs to wake up & pay attention, or start reading the care instructions on those skeins!

I take it that there must not be a deadline for the WUA blankets, if they're still sewing the squares together, huh? Duh It almost sounds as though someone isn't very well organized, or they don't really care much about the project! If they don't hurry up, the blankets/squares may as well be stored away till NEXT winter! (I can't imagine what would be happening if they'd have had a better turn out for that project.) frown It's probably a good thing that once the scarves are done, they're DONE... we can only hope that somebody will have their act together well enough to get them to their destination in a timely manner!

Anyway, I'm really glad that you're involving yourself in these projects & getting out among other people that you can share your interests & accomplished skills with. kissies

#169542 March 1st, 2007 at 01:11 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Triss and Patty

The yarn was pretty easy to use, Triss, but slower going than a "regular" yarn, since there's all that fussy stuff to contend with. Hard to see the stitches if one makes a mistake.

Patty - I think that the department manager is clueless when it comes to yarn and its features. I'm sure he's never read a single label on any of them. He apparently gets a box of yarns from the main office to use for these projects - and they don't sort out what would be good for each particular project. He would not allow me to see the box and chose a yarn to use - not very smart of him in my opinion. I'm going to try and convince him to let me at it today. Hopefully once he sees the scarves I've made, he'll loosen up a little...

As for getting the blankets in, in a timely matter, I don't think that's so critical here. While they are certainly needed during wintertime, most places are also air-conditioned during the warmer months, and we all know how we can get chilled while not feeling well, right?

The scarves, on the other hand, do have a time period where they are needed or not. I do think I'll suggest doing them earlier next year, if they are going to continue with this program.

#169543 March 4th, 2007 at 12:17 AM
OP Offline
Moving right along...

I went back to ACMoore today, as the dept. manager was not there the other day when I went to drop off the 2 scarves. He was happy to take my 2, and when I asked if there was more yarn to use, he took me into the yarn dept. and gave me all the skeins that didn't have labels on them!!! WOW - I ended up with 8 nice and different colors. Duh

I also told him about the strictly hand washable yarn that they gave me to use, and he agreed that that was ridiculous. It's so nice to work with someone who actually listens!

Here's what I came home with from him:
[Linked Image]

I don't know what the content is of the 2 small balls - they aren't exactly the same texture, but they are the same color tones - weird. There weren't any good balls with the label still on, so it will remain a mystery, unless someone recognizes it...

oh yeah... so, who wants to go to my ACMoore store and rip off a few more labels? laugh Duh lala

#169544 March 4th, 2007 at 05:20 AM
laugh laugh laugh Lynne. Nice yarns there! Will make great scarves!

#169545 March 4th, 2007 at 04:34 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Lynne,
I THINK THAT ONE IS GORGEOUS (the fluffy scarf),
AND I WOULD LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, TO LEARN HOW TO DO THAT ONE cool cool cool Duh wink angell

#169546 March 4th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
OP Offline
I agree, Weezie!
I think it would be very nice to have something that feels so soft and luxurious, but I was thinking of the practical side too.

This is one of the easiest scarves to make - REALLY!
It's all in the yarn!
And yes, I did this one on size 11 needles - you can actually use size 13s, like I'm doing for another scarf right now.
All you do is the knit stitch, for the entire scarf. This type of yarn is called "eyelash" because that's what it looks like when pulled straight.

#169547 March 4th, 2007 at 08:26 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
They are rearranging my local Wally~World and it was there for $5.00, with the needles and pattern.. the yard was extra..
but like I said, I can't read the pattern
and it's been soooo many years, I'd have to have
someone actually next to me to re~learn how to do it again!!!!

#169548 March 5th, 2007 at 02:53 PM
OP Offline
Weezie - no pattern needed for that scarf!!!
Just cast on 20 stitches - I have some great site to help you learn or remember how to do that - and knit away for about 50 inches or so. Then the binding off is really easy too - I also have sites for that - with easy videos - so easy!!! kissies

#169549 March 6th, 2007 at 02:08 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
It has been 30 years since I've knitted..
And I barely remember how to hold the needles... eek
If I could sit down and watch someone,
and have them help with a stitch or two..
Then I'd probably remember...
But to be honest, I knew how to start them,
knit a scarf and that's it..
Can't even finish them up.. eek

#169550 March 6th, 2007 at 03:21 AM
OP Offline
Another scarf finished for ACMoore to deliver - I found out the scarves are going to a cancer organization, not Hospice.

[Linked Image]

#169551 March 6th, 2007 at 04:13 AM
[Linked Image] That is GORGEOUS! Love those colors.

I liked that yarn when it was still all rolled up... you made it look better!

Nice job! clp

#169552 March 6th, 2007 at 05:56 AM
VERY nice! So bold and beautiful. That is going to bring a smile to someone for sure!

#169553 March 6th, 2007 at 02:21 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Exactly Ditto on what Patty said...
Gosh that's gorgeous!!!!

Question?
Have you ever seen the hat/scarf thingie,
that's made like you made it, but you take the
scarf, hold it up and measure where the half mark is... then measure a certain amount of length down for like the length of a head and neck, and sew down that and it becomes a hat on the scarf!!!
I love that idea.. hat/scarf all in one..

#169554 March 6th, 2007 at 02:46 PM
OP Offline
Thanks all!

That picture is so foggy looking, I took another one this morning,
that shows the true colors a little better:
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard