This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#169505 January 21st, 2007 at 01:10 AM
OP Offline
What a difference a store makes!

You all know how disappointed I've been in the lack of turnout at Michaels for the Warm Up America program - I blame it on the fact that they refuse to advertise it - the headquarters of the chain, not the store here - their hands are tied!

So, ACMoore sent me an email yesterday - I'm on their mailing list - but could they possibly give a little more advanced notice???

Anywho... I got to the store 45 minutes early, to see the yarns that were on sale - no big deal there. I bumped into an old friend there - she was actually one of my college roommates, and coincidentally ended up living in the same town as I do even though we both came from elsewhere! So, we got to talking, and I wasn't the first one back to the table for the knitting. I was delighted to see that there were already about 8 people sitting there, including the woman running it - Karen.

Karen used to work for the store as an instructor in the yarn dept - she would just sit at a table and knit or crochet, and answer any questions customers might have about yarns or stitches - very knowledgable! So, of course the store layed her off!!! mad But she came back to do this one day deal. More woman came as time went on, and we had a full table of about 15 people on and off - amazing! And all the yarn you could want to use! And needles and hooks too - just go help yourself to whichever ones you want to use! Duh

The newspaper even sent out first a photographer, and then a reporter - no, I wasn't part of either - they chose the oldest, blandest looking woman there! But the article will be in tomorrow's paper and I can post a link to it here - they put it online too.

While we were eating, I found out that some of the woman were there because they had all been part of a knitting group that met on Friday mornings there while Karen was working there - why did I not know this??? I am in that store several times a week - how did I miss it??? eek Of course they no longer meet now that she doesn't work there, but they've become close friends and it took a while for me to break into the group and become accepted - finally I did!

So, at the end, the manager ended up ALSO giving each of us who was there the entire time a $20 store gift certificate!!! I certainly did not expect that, and already spent most of it today! laugh

We are meeting again next Saturday to sew up the blankets - most of us took yarn home to keep working on it during the week - I've already made another piece since I've been home.

Like I said... what a difference a store makes!!!

#169506 January 21st, 2007 at 01:55 AM
Wow, that is awesome , Lynne! You must feel great about that, I know I would! Isn't great breaking into a group of nice women with common interests and great conversation?!

#169507 January 21st, 2007 at 01:57 AM
OP Offline
It is, but it was rather uncomfortable for the first few hours because the "group" was sitting next to me, and the one had her back to me and would not look at me when I asked her to pass things like the tapemeasure or scissors - she was very snotty at first. At the end she was pretty friendly - thankfully!

#169508 January 21st, 2007 at 02:06 AM
Lynne, I am just sooooo excited for you. I know you were so disappointed with the whole thing at Michaels and to be able to find this group is just the best thing ever! I still have yet to hear a darn thing from WUA or Michael's so I will still send you my squares. At least they can be put to good use for you all. Will try and get them in the mail on Monday so you can use them next weekend.

#169509 January 21st, 2007 at 02:46 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Triss! I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking of bringing in my 15 pieces also, since I've not heard back from Liz from Michaels!

#169510 January 21st, 2007 at 02:57 AM
Only 15, I thought you were up to 35???

#169511 January 21st, 2007 at 03:05 AM
OP Offline
total of 35 - with the ones I had already brought into Michaels - plus the Granny square lap blanket I made... I don't think ACMoore wants that, and I hope I can send it through Michaels! Or... we'll just have a cute small blankie here!

#169512 January 21st, 2007 at 03:15 AM
Oh ok, gotcha. I hope they can send the lap blanket along with anything you make.

#169513 January 21st, 2007 at 03:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's great Lynne, It sounds like great fun.
I don't know your whole Michael's story, but I am glad found a place to knit away with the ladies.

Good for you for sticking with it and making friends. clp Women in groups of friends can be a tough crowd.

Very cool about seeing a college friend too. Did she knit?

#169514 January 21st, 2007 at 03:25 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, Jane.

My friend did not knit - she was looking for some things for her 4th grade class there.

#169515 January 22nd, 2007 at 10:11 PM
Lynne, I sent the box out to you today. I think it was 30 rectangles. Hope it gets there for you by this weekend!

#169516 January 22nd, 2007 at 10:45 PM
OP Offline
WOW Triss - thanks so much!!!
I'll have to remember to take my camera so you can see the finished blankets!

Would you please try and remind me as we get closer to Saturday?

#169517 January 22nd, 2007 at 10:56 PM
I would love to see it finished. Thanks!

I put a tracker on it so I can follow the progress.

#169518 January 22nd, 2007 at 11:52 PM
OP Offline
uh oh... Triss - I just found out that Amy has a recital at the music school in the city on Saturday, and I'm probably not going to be able to go to ACMoore other than to drop off your and my pieces. I'm soooo soooo sorry! The others will be able to use them though, so they certainly will not go to waste, it's just that I might not be participating in putting the blankets together, or getting pictures. I will definitely ask someone else to take one if they bring a camera - I wish I could get in contact with Karen, but she didn't give me her number...

So, if you like, I can either send the pieces back, or let the others do the sewing. Or bug Liz from Micaels to get on the stick and have another meeting! It's such a disappointment for me too! :p

#169519 January 23rd, 2007 at 12:28 AM
Oh Lynne, what a bummer. I know you were so looking forward to that as well. You do what you want with them once they get there, either take them for now or save them to use when you can put a blanket together. Up to you. Either way I know they will be used for a good cause and that is really what matters!

#169520 January 23rd, 2007 at 01:24 AM
OP Offline
I agree - that is what matters in the end, of course!
It just would have been nice to be able to help put them together and see the final products.

Thanks for being so generous - I'll make sure they know that you sent them!

#169521 January 23rd, 2007 at 01:56 AM
Yes that would sure be nice. I hope someone will take pics for you so we can all see them!

#169522 January 26th, 2007 at 07:01 PM
OP Offline
I finally got a picture of all of Triss' pieces that she is contributing to Warm Up America that she sent to me this week.

The picture does not do them justice!
They are WONDERFUL!!!

[Linked Image]

#169523 January 26th, 2007 at 07:27 PM
Very nice Triss! And some very pretty colors! thumbup

#169524 January 27th, 2007 at 12:53 AM
Thanks you two. I sure enjoyed working on them!

#169525 January 27th, 2007 at 12:55 AM
Wow.....very pretty Triss....well done

#169526 January 28th, 2007 at 07:05 PM
Lynne, How did things go this weekend?

#169527 January 28th, 2007 at 07:27 PM
OP Offline
Hi Triss - sorry to not answer last night - I, like Amy, was not feeling very well and went to bed early.

It was very chaotic yesterday. Many of the same women returned, but the pieces were all dumped in the middle of the table, nothing was layed out to make sure they'd make a blanket, and Karen just kept saying to "do whatever"... I guess she was in a "mood" - everyone has those days, right?

So, given that, I kept all our pieces together, since they would make a full blanket, and proceeded to sew them together. When I had to leave, another woman from last week arrived and I asked her to continue with our pieces. She was fine with that and set out to get to work - she seemed pretty meticulous and orderly in her work.

The blankets will be donated to Hospice, as Karen was most fond of that organization. I'm not sure I'll get to the store tomorrow to take a picture before the manager calls Hospice to pick them up, but I do thank you so very much again for your contributions! kissies

The others were all amazed that you had sent them from so far away,
and oooooooooohed and ahhhhhhhhhhhed at your fine work!!! thumbup flw

#169528 January 28th, 2007 at 07:30 PM
Sounds like it was a lil hectic and chaotic there. I am glad you got to do some of the sewing though!

Hope both you and Amy are feeling better!!!

Are you planning on sticking with that group?

#169529 January 28th, 2007 at 07:34 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, Triss.

It's really not a group - this was a one time thing unfortunately.

But... I did give Karen my number in case something else comes up like this, and also the woman who I sat next to both times. We'll see if I get any calls...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard